Getting slightly rounded corners, finishing and TBC

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mpex

I just started TBC a couple weeks ago. I am still doing my sanding and CA finishing on a mandrel with a mandrel saver and undersized bushings. I would like to get an ever so slight round on the ends rather than the hard edge that is left with my current method. I'm not sure how to achieve this.

One idea I had was to do the final sanding (using MM) TBC without bushings. My concern is that the MM is going to scratch up my live and dead centers. Should I be concerned about this? Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

I "Break" the edge on nearly all the blanks I turn, so the transition from hardware-to-blank will less likely be felt by touch. It is done off the lathe, after all finishing steps are complete. Lay a piece pf 400 grit sandpaper on a flat surface. While holding the blank at about 20* off vertical, light pressure, slide the blank across the sand paper while rotating it. Do both ends. (I typically will finish blanks to slightly (0.001") over size, and this rounding technique yields a very good transition.)

plantman

After finishing and before putting the pen together, I take a fine metal file to round the sharp edge on both ends of the blanks, then I use nail polish hardner to seal the ends and match the CA finish. You could also use a fingernail emery board. Something stiff will give you more controll than just sandpaper. Jim S

InvisibleMan

I do the entire finishing process between centers with no bushings (actually never use bushings at all any longer). To round the corner, I just use the MM, starting with pad #4 usually. Just don't spend more than a second with each pad or you'll overdo it. And don't use much pressure. Then I touch up with the #4 pad off the lathe if need be after smoothing out any glue on the edges of the blank.

I haven't worried about scratching the centers. They're fine. I'm not sure I really ever touch them though.

Last edited:

opfoto

Only having completed 1 pen tbc, I broke the edges with a careful touch while still between the bushings and on the lathe with 600 grit sandpaper. Used sanding sealer x2 coats and hit the ends again, same way. Seemed to work for me. The pen is a gift....We'll see tomorrow if it is liked.

its_virgil

So, rounding the edges with a skew is the incorrect way? I've been doing it wrong all of these years!:biggrin: But hey, I like turning much more than sanding.:wink:
Do a good turn daily!
Don

opfoto

Don,
You have far better tool control when you are sleeping than I have when I am awake. I was in fear of my new bushings getting damaged with an "oooops" by the tool. The gifted pen was very well received so I will be giving it another try and maybe just maybe I will not put the tool down.....(notice not once did I mention the S word - skew).

panamag8or

For smaller diameter blanks, I use a dart sharpening stone. Stick it in and twist a little... rounded ends!
4dbaecefb4940_164496n.jpg

Top Bottom