Getting Serious

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jleiwig

Well...Today I decided to get one step closer to completing my turning shop. I was originially planning on building a wall to divide my "man room" into a turning area, and another area for other stuff.

As the weeks have gone on, I haven't had time to do it. I still have to tile my mom's bathroom floor and laundry room floor before I can even begin to think about turning something.

So today I ordered a couple self-adhesive zippers from Lee Valley. I'll go to HD and pick up some plastic sheeting, and I have some 1x2 that I'll use on the ceiling, walls and floor to attach the sheeting to. My wife is probably going to crap a brick, but at this point I don't really care.

I have sold, traded and given away everything I no longer use and have acumulated a lathe, drill press, motor and arbor for polishing, diamond stones for sharpening, lathe chisel set, other stuff I'm forgetting and a couple of blanks that the great people here generously sent me.

It's time for me to do what I want to do and that is make some shavings. I was almost tempted to put the lathe up on some saw horses outside just to say I have turned the first pen on my new lathe!

Thanks for letting me vent and listening to my rant. My wife isn't in the room, so I can rant.

Now I'll go back to being ticked off that she caught the 10 lb catfish that was playing with my lures all morning! :curse::curse::curse::devil:

:biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mickr

HAHA I went fishing for crappies & sunfish with a light action rod and 4 lb test and caught 2 northern pike ..one 23 inches the other 28..HA never works the way we wish it to!!! take the lathe outside & turn your wife a pen..then have that fish for dinner together..it will all work out!

ngeb528

Justin,

Give her your first pen (if it comes out good) and she'll forgive you. :wink: Then, get her to make suggestions on what kit plating goes better with a blank you've turned.

Speaking as a woman (though, not knowing your wife) I would be, and was, amazed when my husband made the 1st pen, for me. Now I turn the pens and he works on bowls.

By the way, hubby caught 2 turtles yesterday, while I caught the bass.:tongue::biggrin:

tdibiasio

I will second what Rob said - my two hobbies/obsessions are Fishing and Turning - Not sure which one is first, it really depends on the day. If the fish were biting the last time I was out - then its fishing, if I didnt screw up a complicated segment or blow out an awsome burl the last time I was turning - then its turning. Really funny how I can be out on the lake fishing and if things are slow I start thinking to myself - I would rather be in the shop turning some pens.

Top Bottom