Getting ready for my first Acrylic Pen!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Warren White

A few newbie questions, if you don't mind....

First, how do you know whether or not you need to paint the brass tube or the inside of the blank? I have included a picture of an acrylic blank I am going to turn. It isn't transparent, but I don't know if the tube/blank needs to be painted.

Second, if it should be painted, I would assume for this blank it should be painted white. Is that right?

I just don't know how to determine beforehand whether the brass will show through.

Third, should I use my small desk sander to take the corners off before I turn the blank, and can I use the same technique for squaring off the end as I do with wood (a sanding disk attached to the headstock of my lathe)? I have never sanded acrylic, and I don't know what to expect.

Thank you SO VERY MUCH for all of your help! This forum is great!!!

Warren

Attachments

• pmc_acr_3_4_pen_bla_pol_ice.jpg
    pmc_acr_3_4_pen_bla_pol_ice.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 471
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

With acrylic, unless it is a very dark color, I always assume that the brass tube will show through unless I paint the hole and/or tube.

In this case I would recommend white paint as you suggested. Don't put the paint on too thick and let it dry thoroughly before inserting the tube.

I think it is a good idea to round off the 4 edges of the blank to avoid chipping when you start to turn. You can do this after you have cut to length, glued in the tubes, and mounted the blank on your mandrel. I use a file to put a small radius on the edges. You could do it on a belt sander before you mount the blanks on the mandrel. Or you could use a disk sander if you are very careful but it's a little more tricky. (I assume you meant "disk" not "desk")

Yes, you square up the ends in the same way you do for wood.

Hope this helps.

Warren - good questions. 1 - Painting the tube (and/or the inside of the blank) is always a toughie. Err on the side of caution. If you don't know or aren't sure, paint it. 2 - if it were mine, I would paint it white. 3 - whether to soften the edges of a blank first normally depends on the material, your technique and how sharp your tools are. I very seldom round off any blanks. But I think I keep my tooling pretty sharp and I think I have reasonably good technique. The only acrylics I would normally think about easing the edges on are the acrylesters that are quite brittle. They are often the blanks that have a crystal look to them. I don't think yours is this type. But it won't hurt so go ahead.

Painting takes several forms and as you proceed, you'll discover that painting white can "brighten" a blank's color or even make it more vivid. Often true for pastels. Other blanks will benefit more from a paint the same color as the blank. Wish there was a hard and fast rule. If there is, I haven't found it. Takes experience and attention.

Argo13

Warren,

Short answer. Yep, looks like it will need painted. White will give closer to what it looks like now. But you can paint almost any color to give different effects.

Watch Ed's video on painting tubes. He also has a video on getting started with acrylics. You can find them listed on exotics blank web site. Here is the link to the painting video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbOb1UJnqdY

Jason

bjbear76

I'll add that I have gotten into the habit of painting all my acrylics for 2 reasons: first, to eliminate the brass from showing; and second, sometimes you can see the glue through the acrylic even on darker colors.
Looking forward to seeing the completed pen.

scotirish

Aside from all the great comments made, there is one more thing to consider. :confused::confused: Where is your shop? I ask because the odor from these blanks is not pleasant to smell. Also, as in my case, my wife is allergenic to the smell and since my shop is in the basement she gets a reaction to the odor. :at-wits-end::at-wits-end: Find a way to vent this from your shop, if in the house. :biggrin::biggrin:
That is my 2 cents worth.
Ron

WriteON

Have fun with the acrylic. I enjoy working with it so much I have not touched a piece of wood in months. Acrylic finishes nicely. Each piece does cut differently. Some are brittle...some softer. You'll learn as you go along. I sand with the pad kit. I started out with One
Step and switched to the Novus Kit for polishing/finishing

Last edited:

Warren White

This is why....

...this forum is the place to be!

Mal, yup, I meant "disk" not "desk" (I even previewed it before posting!). My disk sander has a small belt sander that I use for wood blanks, so I will use it. Since this is my first acrylic, and my first use with 'real' tools (I just bought a skew and spindle gouge), I will round things off a bit.

Ted, I will paint something white, but I wonder why it seems to be the procedure (for example in the excellent video recommended by Jason) to pain the inside of the blank. It would seems easier to paint the tube. I would love any comments on the pros and cons of either application.

Jason, thank you SO MUCH for the link. I have happened upon some of Ed's videos before, and they are excellent. You caused me to look for the links to the total inventory of his videos, and I really appreciate it. He has really done us all a favor.

bjbear, I appreciate the second reason for painting. It looks like the way to go.

Ron, good comment. I have a dust collection system attached to my lathe (which is in my attached garage) so that should really help.

WriteON, I am excited to try acrylics as well. I do love the wood, but there are advantages to acrylics that I want to embrace.

Too all who commented and/or read this thread: First thank you so very much. You have really helped me. Now, the questions that some to mind after reading and viewing: Why paint the inside of the blank (which seems hard) rather than the tube (which seems easier). Second, what type of paint do you recommend? Ed uses acrylic paint, but he also uses Rustoleum primer. When painting the inside of the blank, he uses a Q-Tip, which might leave some residue inside.

I wish I could spend some time watching the experts, but this forum is very close to that. Thanks again!

Warren

The inside of the blank is painted to prevent seeing the glue on the tube. Painting the tube can be done as a "backup" if you want, but it does nothing to prevent seeing the glue through the blank. I just paint the inside of the blank usually.

WriteON

The inside of the blank is painted to prevent seeing the glue on the tube. Painting the tube can be done as a "backup" if you want, but it does nothing to prevent seeing the glue through the blank. I just paint the inside of the blank usually.
Thanks for posting this...the glue show does show up visibly and killed a few of my projects. Especially with a lightly tinted Blue/White Stars blank.

Last edited:

magpens

Painting the blank is actually easier than painting the tube, IMO, and it serves both purposes of hiding the glue and hiding the tube. I used acrylic paint from a craft store (you can get many different colors). It does take a while to dry. I haven't had a problem with q-tips leaving a residue. Hope this helps

razor524

It hasn't been said but a set of Micro Mesh to wet sand once you are done turning really makes a difference as far as I am concerned, then polish with some acrylic polish and it will sparkle!

TonyL

I would highly recommend painting the inside of that blank white (flat white). I have turned it several times - in fact, I call that blank "Heaven". I have found that just painting the tubes is not enough to hide the glue lines and you can also see the tube (even though they are painted white.) This is just my experience. It makes a beautifil pen. I have matched it with brushed nickel and/ silver chrome. That is up to you of course.

Jim Smith

I guess I'm one of those belt and suspenders kind of guys as I always paint both the tube and inside the blank. I use spray paint and it takes me about 60 seconds to paint both the tube and the blank then set it aside to dry. If you paint it white, you will certainly have a pretty light blue and white pen. Once you get comfortable with acrylics, I suggest trying different color paints as it will dramatically change the appearance of the finished pen. That same blank painted with red paint will make a pretty purple and pink pen or painted dark blue will make a dark and light blue pen etc.. Experiment and you'll find lots of ways to use paint to make uniquely looking pens from the same colored acrylic blanks. Just a couple of thoughts...

Jim Smith

magpens

I guess I'm one of those belt and suspenders kind of guys as I always paint both the tube and inside the blank. I use spray paint and it takes me about 60 seconds to paint both the tube and the blank then set it aside to dry. If you paint it white, you will certainly have a pretty light blue and white pen. Once you get comfortable with acrylics, I suggest trying different color paints as it will dramatically change the appearance of the finished pen. That same blank painted with red paint will make a pretty purple and pink pen or painted dark blue will make a dark and light blue pen etc.. Experiment and you'll find lots of ways to use paint to make uniquely looking pens from the same colored acrylic blanks. Just a couple of thoughts...

Jim Smith

Jim, how long does it take your spray paint to dry ? Oh, and how do you spray into the hole in the blank ?

Charlie_W

I spray a little of the spray paint into the cap from the spray can and then use a Qtip to paint the inside of the blank. I usually spray the tubes too.

I drill the blanks as close to .010" larger than the tube and have room for the paint and glue.

Once your blank is squared and on the lathe, I use a parting tool or skew and start turning the ends first. I want to take the ends down to round or even closer to the final size before working the full blank. This way, the ends which like to break off are already turned smaller than the rest of the blank.

Warren White

Again, thank you so much!

Ray: I have the micro mesh pads, and a buffing system, so I hope to be able to finish the work so that it reflects the beauty of the acrylic. Thanks!

Tony: I will go out today and buy the paint. I plan on seeing if there is a set of acrylic paints, but will paint this blank with the white as you suggested. Thank you.

Jim: I am also a belt and suspenders guy (on everything but my pants), so I appreciate the suggestion.

Charlie: Thank you for the suggestions, especially about starting the ends first. I hope I can remember when I finally get around to turning. ;-)

hcpens

Warren, check out youtube for Acrylic pen turning. There a lot of good and very good video's that have helped me in the past.

TonyL

I bought the acrylic paints and didn't like any of them (and I have them all). I use Krylon primer spray paints: white, black, grey, and red/rust colors. Not as many options, but I do fine with these. Many use the acrylic paints with excellent results. I just happen to like the Krylon primers. Like Jim, I sometimes paint the tube and blank, but always the blank.

magpens

Tony,
How do you get paint to spray into the hole in the blank ? Or do you spray it onto a surface and then dob it into the hole with a q-tip ?

TonyL

I also bought the standard and better quality Testor paints - I didn't like them either. Again, many use them with outstanding results, and you do have a greater choice of colors to choose from.

TonyL

Believe it or not, I do my best to spray it inside the hole from both ends. The 7 and 8 mm holes are a little sloppy. Probably better to spay in a cap, then brush in - but I am too lazy to do that. I am not the best to ask....just telling you the truth. :)

Charlie_W

Ray: I have the micro mesh pads, and a buffing system, so I hope to be able to finish the work so that it reflects the beauty of the acrylic. Thanks!

Tony: I will go out today and buy the paint. I plan on seeing if there is a set of acrylic paints, but will paint this blank with the white as you suggested. Thank you.

Jim: I am also a belt and suspenders guy (on everything but my pants), so I appreciate the suggestion.

Charlie: Thank you for the suggestions, especially about starting the ends first. I hope I can remember when I finally get around to turning. ;-)

Warren, use very very light cuts on the ends. This is the most vulnerable part of the blank. Show us a pic when you can!

Charlie_W

I bought the acrylic paints and didn't like any of them (and I have them all). I use Krylon primer spray paints: white, black, grey, and red/rust colors. Not as many options, but I do fine with these. Many use the acrylic paints with excellent results. I just happen to like the Krylon primers. Like Jim, I sometimes paint the tube and blank, but always the blank.

I too use primers a lot. Also a silver color paint as well. My thoughts are that since the primers dry without a slick gloss finish, the glue should hold better....no scientific data or testing.....just my dirt roads upbringing thinking!

Warren White

OK, here are my first three Acrylic Pens

Thanks to a lot of advice and counsel from the forum, as well as my mentor who got me started in this wonderful hobby, I turned 3 Acrylic pens (and one Perfume Vial from CSUSA) today. The pens are all PSI Majestic Squire pens.

I purchased a spindle gouge and skew and some sharpening equipment that I share with my mentor. That has also been a learning experience for me.

The IPhone camera isn't the best for this, because they look spectacular in the sunlight!

Thanks again for all the help! This is really fun, and I realize I have a STEEP learning curve to get this right.

Attachments

• IMG_0029.jpg
    IMG_0029.jpg
    384.4 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0032.jpg
    IMG_0032.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 120

LarryS

Interesting information about this topic. Learned alot myself.

Like the pens Warren.

Great Job!!

Top Bottom