getting a new lathe, TC commander?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ZanderPommo

My parents are insisting on buying me a new lathe. yes i know i should be happy but I'm used to buying these kind of things myself and its alot of money. bottom line is i dont want them to spend too much. a Jet 1014 is a bit too expensive, so it has to be less than that. I was looking at the new turncrafter commander VS lathe.
heres my restrictions:

must be variable speed
must have at least 1/2 horsepower
must be accurate
must be durable
must be #2 mt
im looking for the best bang for the buck, and i always appreciate all of your input, id love to hear your thoughts, opinions and preferences. also any cons i havnt considered
thanks to all for their input

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ToddMR

I know you said the Jet 1014 is too expensive, and it isn't VS, but imo going too cheap is a worst decision. I don't know anything about the new TC, but I did get the VS PSI lathe prior and returned it because I was not happy with it. I ended up getting the Jet after all and am really happy with it. It isn't a big deal to me to change the belt to change the speeds. Is there a shop near by that sells them? If so I would go look at some see the differences between them etc. I learned the hard way, it might look nice online, but its better to see it in person. I know this is probably not too much help for you. The VS can be added later too. I just started out April this year and I am so happy I have my Jet lathe. I know others like the Delta too, but I am pretty sure it is in the same price point as the Jet. I hope you find something that will fit into what your looking for.

sefali

My parents are insisting on buying me a new lathe. yes i know i should be happy but I'm used to buying these kind of things myself and its alot of money. bottom line is i dont want them to spend too much. a Jet 1014 is a bit too expensive, so it has to be less than that. I was looking at the new turncrafter commander VS lathe.
heres my restrictions:

must be variable speed
must have at least 1/2 horsepower
must be accurate
must be durable
must be #2 mt
im looking for the best bang for the buck, and i always appreciate all of your input, id love to hear your thoughts, opinions and preferences. also any cons i havnt considered
thanks to all for their input

The Commander looks like a great lathe, but they are just now starting to deliver, after how many months of delays? They must have had some serious bugs to work out, and I wouldn't trust them to not have missed one or two more. It may be the best bang for the buck a little bit down the line, if you can wait a bit see if any troubles start popping up.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I have the Delta 46-460. and I love it. It meets all of your restrictions except it is a bit pricey. My suggestion is to do some negotiating with your parents. I am assuming that you do not want them to spend too much and you say you are used to buying this type of thing for yourself (Good for you!!). They want to buy you a lathe. So allow them to pool some cash with you to buy the Delta, or another more tried and true lathe.

Allenk

TC Commander

I have a Vicmarc VL100 Bench Model. I love it, and wouldn't trade it. If I were going to buy a small lathe today, I would buy the TC Commander. I think the reason they had such a hard time getting it in stock, is because they have been sticklers for having it fit their specs, and sticking to their guns about it. As with any new lathe, there are going to be a few little bugs that may need to be worked out, but I've never had PSI fail to take care of problems with anything I've ever ordered, so I wouldn't be afraid to trust them on this one. I like everything I've read about this one, so far.
JMO.
Cheers, Al

Steve78

I have a Jet VS 1014 that I bought 4 + yrs ago when I started this hobby. It was expensive - but I wanted to buy something that I felt would last. I've never been sorry for my decision. Although I do not abuse my equipment, I do expect it to work hard for me and this has. I agree with Mike B on pooling $ with your parents and get one that will last and you want. Good luck.

workinforwood

I remember my first lathe..a TC lathe. It was far from durable. It might have been accurate and it did have vs, but I swear the metal was as soft as lead. I had the tool rest worn out after 3 pens. I kid you not, the tool rest looked like a crescent moon and I was simply using a 3/4 HSS gouge across it. The punch they give you is crap too, and the spindle is soft as well...if you use the punch as a pry bar in the head to loosen a bowl plate you will bend the bar and elongate the holes in the head..that means basically the machine is now trash.

The Jet 1014 can come in vs and with an indexer too. Been using the jet 1014vsi for 3 yrs and it still looks and runs like new.

Aerotech

in all my searching and pricing over the last month or so i've come to the conclustion that grizzly will give you the most bang for your buck, especially if you live close enough to avoid the freight/shipping costs.

el_d

Get yourself a good lathe and have them pay for half. It would be cheaper for them, you wont feel bad about spending there money and you can get a lathe that will fit your needs
Being a parent I can see where it would be nice to buy an "appreciation" gift for your kids especially with a hobby that is not "Junk". (Like Video games)
I have kids that like to buy there own things but that leaves us with the question "what do we get them that will be of value to them ".
This is a very good hobby that should be encouraged. It builds self esteem by completing a project that the kid can do by themselves.
Im sure your Mom and Dad appreciate the fact that you are responsible enough to "take care of yourself" but your still there child and as my own kids "take care of themselves" its a realization that they are growing up........ Besides your parents may be like me, I never know what to get my kids.

ZanderPommo

wow thanks too all for the information. im looking into that link for the used Jet, looks like a great deal for sure, and its just over 2 hours away. im checking with dad to see if hes up for a ride.:biggrin:

as for all of your suggestions i have to agree, the jet is looking more and more appealing to me, and i might just score with this used one. looks like new. i always benifit from all of your input thank you so much.youve all been of great help

Last edited:

ZanderPommo

ok, they just informed me that i will be recieving a Jet 10-14 VSI lathe in about nine days. i really dont know what to say besides the fact that i have the best and most caring parents a kid could ever have. I also was given a new XDM-9 pistol for IDPA competition. this is how my parents have chosen to spend the extra money they save, and in these 2 cases I didnt have a say in it, but needless to say Im happy to mow both the front and back lawn every week for the next two years. they wont have to ask me twice.

their excuse is that this is how i make my money, and they got my brother a car years ago for the same reason. i love them both more than they'll ever know...:crying:

goodnight folks.

Jim15

Congratulations on the new toys, I agree it sounds as if you have some great parents. I think they probably have a special person in you also.

Top Bottom