Get togethers?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
So far we have Local Chapters, Midwest Penturners Gathering (MPG) Mid-Atlantic Penturners Gathering (MAPG) and the Fl.Ga Penturners Gathering (FLGPG) I think. :biggrin: No national or international yet.

KenV

Jim, there is a national turning symposium put on by the American Association of Woodturners. It does include rotations, vendors, and a special interest group meeting on pen related topics and techniques.

A few years back a notable pen maker named Kurt Hertsog was elected to the board and subsequently President of AAW. Kurt is referenced in the library and his web page has many of his articles published in magazines and journals related to penturning. Pen turning is more accepted by the bowl turners now.

Consider attending a regional pen show such as the one recently held in Atlanta. You can see some of the top quality custom/handmade pens and learn a lot about high end pens, most especially fountian pens. The Atlanta pen show will be back next spring.

stuckinohio

Well, I see there is no local IAP chapter close to you, and the NC chapter doesn't appear to be active since 2016!

You could call or go the the woodcraft in Greenville or any place similar and ask about local turning clubs. I always run into people at woodcraft and somehow we get talking and they mention their club.

Lewis

Charlie_W

Jim, I see on the AAW map that there is a chapter not too far from you.
It is Waxhaw Woodturners Association in Mathews, NC. You should find some penturners there.
Also, in the fall, North Carolina is hosting a Woodturning Symposium. VA and NC alternate years/locations. All the NC woodturning clubs participate in bringing these regional symposia to woodturners. They have professional demonstrations, plenty of vendors with all sorts of goodies from tools to wood to entice us turners. Barry Gross was at the VA Symposium last year.

Top Bottom