Get the lead out?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeffnreno

Hi All

I have been working on doing some cartrdige pens using the hollow point bullets drilled out
for the tip of the pen. After reading all of the stuff I could find I can now do this successfully - yea!

The question is in some tutorials they show melting the lead out of the bullets and others they don't. Should the lead be melted out or is it ok to leave it in?

Thanks Jeff

KenV

Option 3 -- I use bullets that do not have lead in them (Barnes bullets are one good brand and are sold in boxes of 50 by Midway and other internet vendors). These bullets are made with copper or copper alloys and are lead free.

Depending on your level of paranoia about lead, you can make the choice with lead cored bullets. Most lead core bullets have a thin jacket of copper and the jackets tend to be very thin and very soft. Some of the lead will adhere to the jacket regardless (think about soldering wires). The biggest advantage to removing some lead is the weight.

(By the way, the cleanup levels for lead in soil for industrial applications is generally 1000 mg per kg - which is based on exposure to the soils for 8 hour days 5 day a week for lots of years).

I do suggest using only copper jacketed bullets if using them for nibs (not using cast lead bullets or those with exposed lead such as half jacketed bullets) to avoid the marking from the exposed lead.

Note that slime line nibs still work in 308/30-06 and the like and the copper nibs look good. The slime line nibs are less expensive than bullets and take less time -- but only work for ball points.

rherrell

I agree with Eric. When I wrote my tutorial I was drilling it out but my preference now is to melt it out. TO ME it seems quicker and less of a hassle.
I melt it into a large metal can that will hold more than I will EVER do. After I die somebody will find it and have to deal with it, but not in MY lifetime.:biggrin::wink:

Top Bottom