German/European Woods

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sprung

I have a friend (who is college and grad school classmate of mine) who has asked me to make a fountain pen for him. In talking wood choices, he admits that he knows nothing about wood - but since he loves all things German, would love it to be a wood from Germany. He also stated he likes darker woods, especially if they have a reddish hue/color to them.

I know nothing about European woods - and they aren't even really represented in my small, but growing stash of wood. I do know that some of the species of woods we have here are also found in Europe in some form.

Any ideas to consider for a darker German or European wood? Especially something nicely figured, like a burl? I could probably get him to go with a lighter wood if it was a piece of wood that had some good historical significance.

Or should I tell him to suck it up and choose something else? (We go back long enough that I don't have to use kid gloves when communicating with him, lol!) He did seem to like the Amboyna Burl pen I showed him a picture of.

I haven't made any promises yet in regards to the wood selection for his pen, but I do want it to be nice - this is going on a nice fountain pen that will see frequent use.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stevecas2000

Wychelm

Hi

Long time lurker, first time poster.

If you're after something darker, I'd suggets Wych elm. Burrs are pretty easy to get hold of and a blank can go from a greyish colour, right through to red-ish brown (well, more brown than red - but it's pretty nice).

The only problem you have with wych elm is that the burr will (most likely) have a number of cracks that need filling - but this does give you a chance to do something creative.

Sprung

Thanks for the input, everyone! I'll check out Ebay.uk (and maybe even use my very rusty and poor German and peruse Ebay.de) and see what I can find - but it seems like it's a request that I am unlikely to be able to fulfill. I have presented him with other wood options I have available, so I'll have to wait and see what he says.

Ed McDonnell

You could consider turning it out of oak and then ebonizing the finished oak pen barrels to give the dark medieval look you see in a lot of German wood scuptures in churches and such.

Ed

monophoto

Peter Freitag is a German woodturner who has a YouTube channel and occasionally does pens.

You might contact him for suggestions. I suspect he would appreciate being asked. You can reach him via his Facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/tgif1608 or his web site, EN.

I believe that beech is relatively common in Germany. That might be something to consider.

NittanyLion

I made a pen out of English Pippy Yew for my boss, who is from the big Island. It is dang hard to find though, I got it in a trade from someone on here. It was full of eyes and still one of my favorites I've ever done.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Thanks for the input, everyone! I'll check out Ebay.uk (and maybe even use my very rusty and poor German and peruse Ebay.de) and see what I can find - but it seems like it's a request that I am unlikely to be able to fulfill. I have presented him with other wood options I have available, so I'll have to wait and see what he says.

Don't be so pessimistic!!!

How would a pair of 800 year old Medium Black Bog Oak from Bremen Germany do???

... At one of the first Ohio Chapter IAP meetings at Hartville lumber - early last year probably, an older fellow came just for a visit, not an IAP member. He had turned only a few pens, but was an accomplished woodworker I believe.

He and I were the first at the meeting, so I welcomed him and struck up a conversation. He had a strong German accent and when I repeated his name he commented that I had pronounced his name perfectly (Rolf). I confessed that most of my Mom's family came from Germany after the WWII.

I gave him a pen, and we exchanged e-mails. I also sent him a Christmas Ornament (yea, another Bird House :tongue:), and in return he sent me 4, 800 year old bog blanks that a relative had sent him.

PM me your address, and HAVE FUN!

Attachments

• IMG_1754.jpg
    IMG_1754.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 128

turncrazy43

This thread is really what this forum is all about. Sprung had a very specific need Mark was able to provide him with exactly what he was searching for. That was really great and why we all keep coming back. Great job Mark!

Sprung

Thank you, everyone, for the help, suggestions, and advice!

And thank you especially to Mark for his most generous offer!

After some more e-mail exchanges with my friend, he decided on a real nice piece of Cherry Burl that I have for his pen - even with an offer of Bog Oak certifiably from Germany on the table. :rolleyes:

Again - thank you, everyone! :)

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Thank you, everyone, for the help, suggestions, and advice!

And thank you especially to Mark for his most generous offer!

After some more e-mail exchanges with my friend, he decided on a real nice piece of Cherry Burl that I have for his pen - even with an offer of Bog Oak certifiably from Germany on the table. :rolleyes:

Again - thank you, everyone! :)

Sounds like a nice resolution! If anything changes, just let me know if I can
help!

Have FUN!

robutacion

Well, I don't speak German but, I went to eBay.de and typpped this (got it from a web translater) "Holzarbeiten-Rohlinge" and I got this,

Holzarbeiten-Rohlinge | eBay

Not a lot of choices so, I would suggest to find to most common native wood species to Germany and then find some from the many vendors, everywhere...!

If you were looking for very Aussie woods, I could help you...!

Good luck,

Cheers
George

Top Bottom