Georgia Pecan problems

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mikeinco

I've been trying to turn some Georgia Pecan blanks and have problems with this very soft wood and need some tips. I keep getting blowouts and as best I can describe "divots" in the wood. Any tips will help, as an FYI I use carbide tip tools and have turned about 25 pens so far. Thanks.:confused:

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I've never thought of pecan as being a soft wood unless it's spalted or punky. If so, it might need stabilizing or hardening.

I've turned quite a bit of pecan & when working with the soft stuff, you do have to be very careful if you don't stabilize or harden it first. I use a carbide R2 tool & take light cuts. I might get some small chip outs that are easy to fill, but I don't usually have any blowout problems. The key to using a carbide tool on soft wood (actually applies to any tool) is to take light cuts & use the proper approach angle.

If I run into some really soft spots or get a little chip-out, I drizzle some thin CA on it, rub in some shavings & hit it with a shot of accelerator. Let it set for 15-30 seconds & go back at it, being very cautious in that area. Sometimes, those spots might need a repeat application of CA & sawdust.

Hope this helps.
Edgar

BJohn

Oh yeah Oliver that is a very common term for pecan I have roughed out some bowls from some green pecan which turned pretty easy but boy when it dries it as tough as concrete. Talk about dulling your tools.

If you have soft pecan IMHO it is spalted so either have it stabilized or you may try soaking it in ca as you go. Use a thin CA so it soaks in really well.

mikeinco

I bought the blanks off E-Bay which is probably not the best idea and it is spalted and probably not stabilized which I'm not sure how to correct, so I guess I'll try using some CA as I turn and se what happens. Thanks for the replies.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Unless they are really pinky, just go slow (cutting wise - no need to slow down the lathe) & use thin CA when you get to a really act spot or chip. I don't stabilize any of my spalted blanks.

If you have some blanks that are not yet tubed, you might try coating the hole with thin CA to harden the center of the blank somewhat. That can help prevent blowouts when getting close to final size - also a good thing to do with any crosscut blank. Let the CA cure overnight & redrill before tubing. A repeat application doesn't hurt either.

Best of luck to you

Edgar

mikeinco

Thanks Edgar, I'll try that. I managed to turn 1 blank with no issues but have jacked up 2 others.
Mike

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
When I first started turning pens, I didn't have a proper appreciation for the widely varying densities of wood blanks. One of my first half dozen pens was a spalted sweet gum that I turned in the same manner as oak & maple.

Apparently I was just lucky, because it turned & finished just fine with no problems whatsoever. Then I totally blew up my next two spalted blanks and decided that I needed to reconsider my technique. After turning a fairly wide variety of wood types and learning more about how different woods turn, sand & finish, I tackled some more spalted blanks & now can get pretty consistent results. I still shy away from using regular turning tools on really punky wood, but I give some 80 grit sandpaper a try.

Stabilizing is a great option for soft woods, but I don't have the equipment for it & I generally prefer a more natural wood look & feel anyway. Also, I just like the challenge that soft woods present - when I mount one of those blanks on the lathe, I think to myself, "now who's gonna win this battle - me or the wood?". :)

Nothing beats experience - just keep turning & refining your techniques. Also be sure to post some photos of your work.

Have fun
Edgar

SDB777

I'd love to see some photo's?

Crosscut pecan that is spalted or rotted can be problematic. But just normal everyday straight grained Pecan.....even with dull tooling, should not 'blowout'.

Scott (post some photo's of the problems) B

Top Bottom