"George" Wood Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Well, that's what my Niece calls it... "George Wood."

So, I looked into my box of Aussie Wood, and this is what came out.

DISCLAIMER: Turning skills, kit fit and selection, etc, etc. are on the worker bee... Not the "Master Blank Maker"!

Thoughts; they were easier to turn than I anticipated (feared...). But, I rapidly switched from HSS to Carbide within seconds... can't say why, just a gut aversion to explosions... Subsequently..No real problems; light easy cuts.

The grains were awesome. MY OPINION... I like the transition from bright resin - to - Wood BARK - to - Wood ! This blank also had inclusions that needed to be filled... which I Love! I like the stem remnants! Very pretty blend of wood and resin.

The colors were great! I screwed up one of the transitions, so fortunately this is assigned duty on the work desk!!! Many years of hard and faithful labor...

George: Thanks for your advice and may this be my worst example of your labor.

Attachments

• IMG_0480.jpg
    IMG_0480.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_0481.jpg
    IMG_0481.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_0483.jpg
    IMG_0483.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_0485.jpg
    IMG_0485.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_0484.jpg
    IMG_0484.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_0486.jpg
    IMG_0486.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 151
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ambidex

wowwowwow..my favorite pic is 3...or maybe 5..or maybe:wink: but an incredible blank and awesome f+f pen...in a word..Beautiful!

Last edited:

Cmiles1985

That is a beautiful pen! Fit and finish are nice, the hardware is nice (which kit is that?), and Kudos to George on the blank! I can't wait to hone my skills and feel comfortable enough to buy/turn some of his work...

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I was hesitant. But all went well. His blanks turned in typical fashion with acrylics/resin fills, so a light touch, take your time, learn... I HAD FUN!

That is a beautiful pen! Fit and finish are nice, the hardware is nice (which kit is that?), and Kudos to George on the blank! I can't wait to hone my skills and feel comfortable enough to buy/turn some of his work...

Pjohnson

That pen blank and components are breathtaking!!

I need to ask - Who is George and how do you purchase his blanks?

robutacion

Hi James,

Didn't hurt that much, huh...???:wink::biggrin:

You done a beautiful job with that blank, the kit selection goes well with it and your pics are nicely done so, congrats

Those "transitions" you are talking about, are easily controlled with the use of the 5cps CA as soon as the blanks gets round, making sure the joints of the 2 materials are perfectly bonded, as you reduce diameter and before you start the last CA coats...!:wink:

That particular resin colouration, is one of 6 I've made some time ago, and certainly one that I will repeat when is time to do some more.

I'm pleased to see you doing great work...!

Cheers
George

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
That pen blank and components are breathtaking!!

I need to ask - Who is George and how do you purchase his blanks?

Glad you asked - See George's comments below yours - all his contact info is there. "Robutacion". I had specific requests, and George was great to work with me. Specifically, later this year I will be making mini bird houses and wanted larger size blanks - 2" x 2" x 6-12". I received about 20 assorted bird house blanks that are incredible. I believe these are about the same size as duck call blanks.

Anyway just a final comment. George was very worried about the high expense to ship from Australia to Ohio. But I priced out several stateside vendors that I have used, and the price was a wash - very, very close - so for the same price, I got some very different blanks and have conversed with someone I never knew, and he got his lunch money! To me, a win-win.

George; my error in not being clear. The poor transitions are between the kit fittings and the blanks. One the top blank I went just slightly to small. Just enough that I can justify keeping the pen all to myself :)!

I had no problems with the transitions between resin/bark/solid wood. I very much like the transitions in the blanks. Truth be told... I splattered the lower blank with a clean 3/4" piece with my pen reamer. Glued back together, bathed in CA, and you can't tell as it was on one of the transition lines - blends in perfectly!

Top Bottom