Gentlemen's Pen- Cap threads grabbing the nib holder

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigguyZ

OK, so I finished this beautiful antler Gent fountain pen. However, the threads are gripping the nib holder that screws into the coupler. It's making the fit difficult, and when I unscrew the cap the nib holder is unscrewing as well.

How do I fix this? I was thinking or running a drill bit through just slightly larger than the inner thread diameter, but I don't want to ruin a completed (and expensive) pen!

Thanks,
Travis

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mazzywv

Thanks for asking this question I, on occasion, have had this problem too!

jskeen

did you verify that it is actually the threads in the lower end of the cap that are catching? sometimes the TOP end of the black nylon insert can be a little tight and might catch the flare at the end of the section. If that is the case you can knock out the cap and carefully run a reamer or drill bit down from the top (but not far enough to get into the threads!) If it really is the threads, I don't know of any solution other than possibly converting the pen over to a rollerball, or trying a different section to see if there is just enough difference from kit to kit to relieve the problem.

Russianwolf

if it is the threads you could lightly (AND I MEAN LIGHTLY) sand the threads. You would only be removing the peaks to provide a little clearance, the valleys will still grip the threads on the coupler. But to much and they will be gone.

But I agree that I've seen this more often from the top end of the insert. I've gotten to the point that I chamfer the top ends on all of them to prevent it from either unscrewing or marking the front section. Sometimes it'll rub just enough to mark the plating with a spiral scratch. People think its the threads, but its the top edge contacting the section as the cap is screwed off/on.

BigguyZ

Cool (well, not so much, but you know what I mean). I guess I get to disasseble this sucker and try to get the threads to fit properly. I wish I would have noticed that initially... more of a pain to fix after the fact than at the start!

Thanks!

P.S. I took the nib holder out and gently stuck in in the cap while holding onto it with the converter, and you're right- it's the top of the sleeve. the bottoms loose, and the top's binding. Bummer...

Last edited:

dexter0606

Travis
Before you tear anything apart or start modifying, try to determine what component is actually causing the problem. If you have another kit I would try mating the pen with the components from the extra kit.
At least this may give you a starting point and you can just replace the faulty component

Jeff

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
if it is the threads you could lightly (AND I MEAN LIGHTLY) sand the threads. You would only be removing the peaks to provide a little clearance, the valleys will still grip the threads on the coupler. But to much and they will be gone.

But I agree that I've seen this more often from the top end of the insert. I've gotten to the point that I chamfer the top ends on all of them to prevent it from either unscrewing or marking the front section. Sometimes it'll rub just enough to mark the plating with a spiral scratch. People think its the threads, but its the top edge contacting the section as the cap is screwed off/on.

Ok, what's the downside??

I've had the nib stick in the cap too, on JR Gents. When we insert that black plastic piece, we are forcing it in, which could tend to compress it, making the hole smaller on top.

So, what if we chamfer that black piece before we insert it? Is there a risk?

Why does the black piece fit so tightly? Could/should we be sanding it down a little BEFORE inserting??

Thoughts??

Russianwolf

Popping the finial off the cap is usually pretty easy. Then you can push the insert out through the top. At least that's the way I've had the most success. Removing the centerband is a pain.

Russianwolf

Ok, what's the downside??

I've had the nib stick in the cap too, on JR Gents. When we insert that black plastic piece, we are forcing it in, which could tend to compress it, making the hole smaller on top.

So, what if we chamfer that black piece before we insert it? Is there a risk?

Why does the black piece fit so tightly? Could/should we be sanding it down a little BEFORE inserting??

Thoughts??
I haven't run into any downside so far with the chamfering. Sanding just around the top may help (sanding the entire piece may make it loose to the point that it would spin in the tube when trying to screw the cap on the body) also, but with the marking problem I had chamfering the inside edge seemed the most logical step. I am doing this to all of them before assembly now, just as you mentioned above, with no repeat of the problems.

This is probably another reason to make sure you get the tube cleaned out thoroughly of any glue since that might compound this issue as well. For the hardware, only the first half inch of the tube is important but some of these inserts are 2 inches long.

workinforwood

I have never encountered this problem myself. I can only take ya'lls word on it, and your theories sound somewhat reasonable. The only thing I know is that you sure don't want to run a drill bit up anywhere close to plastic threads! The nib itself couldn't be unscrewing unless the side of the nib was catching on something..because a nib would be like a flat head screwdriver..so I would just take a punch and knock the finial off. With that out of the way, you will be able to look down through the top and see exactly what it is catching on. Then I guess you grab a file and file that problem away.

Top Bottom