Gentleman / Statesman problem...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

killer-beez

I thought I would spend extra money and buy a good kit but I sure have had a lot of problems so far. When I twist the pen top onto the pen base and tighten snug it pulls the Rollerball nib out of the base and makes the nib coupler real loose. Am I doing something wrong?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbell111

If you tighten the cap too much, you actually pull the nib coupler out of the tube. The solution is to either epoxy the nib coupler so it doesn't get pulled out or to not tighten the cap so much, or both.

killer-beez

Update!!! I contacted CAUSA about the Statesman pen kit and they now see the problem. It's a degign problem. I was told by CAUSA that they will contact the manufacturer and see if it can be corrected. Also, they refunded my money for the one kit sold to me last month. Good news, I hope they do what they said they will do...

gerryr

I've made quite a few Gentleman and Statesman roller balls and have never once had this problem. I don't know of anyone else who has either, at least nobody has ever mentioned it before in the three or so years I've been around here.

mrcook4570

Unless you glue or epoxy the couplers in place, this will happen with every screw cap. The force of screwing/unscrewing the cap will ultimately cause the friction fit to fail.

redfishsc

Originally posted by gerryr

I've made quite a few Gentleman and Statesman roller balls and have never once had this problem. I don't know of anyone else who has either, at least nobody has ever mentioned it before in the three or so years I've been around here.

I've had this happen with every screwcap model I've made, CSA or Berea. As said above, if the nib coupler isn't epoxied into the brass tube rather than just press-fit, you run the risk of it coming loose. I wish they ALLLLLLLLL would put this bit of info in their assembly sheets, b/c it's a hazard with the Jr/Gent, Emp, Imp, States, Baron, Sedona, you name it.

Seems really bad on rollerballs however--- I believe the spring inside pushing OUT while the screwcap is pulling out both work to wiggle it loose.

killer-beez

The spring was a problem too. I had to cut off a couple of turns so it wouldn’t push on the end piece so hard that it pushed it out about 1/16" each time it was assembled. It was my first so I hope it was something I was doing wrong...

Top Bottom