Gentleman question?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan_F

I'm in the process of turning my first Gentleman's FP. For the cap, the hardware for the finial measures .653, same as the bushing. So far, so good. The center band, where it meets the wood, is .657, which is .004 larger than the bushing. Is the center band really supposed to supposed to stand proud of the barrel, or their tolerances a bit off? Luckily, I measured before turning it to final dimensions. Thanks for any insight.

Dan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

karlkuehn

Banned
Very likely the bushing is off a bit from the hardware. I see that pretty often on new bushings. .004 is pretty dinky, I imagine it's not so hard for even the plating to get off by that much. :)

Dan_F

Thanks Karl. Actually the bushings are right on, as is the finial, according to the instructions for the kit. The only thing off is the center band. But I suppose it would only stand proud half of the variance on either side, so only .002, probably not enough to see, but easy to feel. When you can't seat the part directly on the barrel, and have to rely on a dial caliper to check fit, that .004 looks like a lot of movement on the dial. [:0]

I remove the bushings for the final shaping, so it's not a problem, just wanted to know if there was some reason it wasn't supposed to fit flush.

Dan

redfishsc

For bushings that are a hair proud of the actual part they are matching up with, I turn that part of the blank a bit proud of the bushing, and then, just before assembly, I use some 1000 grit sandpaper by hand, followed by MM if needed, to every-so-slightly "round" the edges of the blanks to give them a softer feel just in case they are bit bigger than the pen part they mate up with. When you make such a joint look intentionally a fuzz bigger, it looks, well, intentional and not a flaw.

Top Bottom