Gent tubes same as ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Petricore

I have a gorgeous amboyna blank glues into 2 Gentlemans tubes and didnt end up making the Gentleman. Are there any other kits this is an exact match for ? I would like to make something more flashy like an emperor or something.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

The Emperor is indeed a flashier kit and you can use the same tubes with the Emperor kit as the Gent tubes have the same diameters as the Emperor.

Both upper and lower Gent tubes are roughly .100" longer than the Emperor tubes so all you need to do is trim your existing blanks by .100" each.

The bushings are a different number because the Gent/Statesman tapers slightly at the lower finial but both cap dimensions and nib dimensions are the same on both kits.

Petricore

That is awesome info, thanks :D I think I want to do an emperor for this bad boy. As for the bushings your saying both bushing for the cap are dead on, and only one for the body is on and the other is slightly off ?
I was planning on double checking all the measurements with my calipers anyhow :)

Texatdurango

I have both sets.

Gent bushings:
CAP = .650" - .650"
lower = .595" - .525"

Emperor bushings:
CAP = .650" - .650"
lower = .597" - .597"

Note the lower bushing shows .002" difference, I put my tubes on both bushing sets and they feel the same.

You could use the gent bushings, just make sure you don't turn the bottom down too small.

Calipers is good!

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Linc,

Like you said, check ALL of your measurements before committing. If you are in doubt, like Gerry mentioned, the Statesman, which is a very nice kit, uses exactly the same tubes and bushings as the Gent.

Texatdurango

Originally posted by wdcav1952

Linc,

Like you said, check ALL of your measurements before committing. If you are in doubt, like Gerry mentioned, the Statesman, which is a very nice kit, uses exactly the same tubes and bushings as the Gent.
You think I would pass on bogus information or just guess at numbers?[:0]

Petricore

Thanks for the info.
Texat - Can you measure the lengths to confirm the .1" difference as stated above ?
I'm getting super stoked to get this going.

Texatdurango

Originally posted by Petricore

Thanks for the info.
Texat - Can you measure the lengths to confirm the .1" difference as stated above ?
I'm getting super stoked to get this going.
Like I said above, I didn't just make up some numbers, I already measured both the Gent and Emperor tubes with calipers. The reason I said roughly .100", I didn't want to give one of the resident right-fighters an oppurtunity to correct me by saying they were actually .099" or .101"

I'm outta this, I've offered all I can.

Petricore

My apologies, I didn't notice you were the same poster that posted that as the followup. I STILL appreciate the info :D

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Whoa, Tex, I didn't mean to step on your pointy-toed boots!! :D;) All I meant was that if he had any doubt as to what he wanted to do, the Statesman is a straight switch witout any measurements. Accuracy to .001, you DEFINITELY have me confused with someone else. :D I am a card carrying member of the "Close Enough For Gov't Work" group.:D

Top Bottom