gent statesman issue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

tone

I know that there has been many posts on the issue of the various thread problems for these pens that seem to to be fixed in the latest version. I couldn't find any posts relating to this problem

While carring these pens (which I really like alot) clipped in my shirt pocket, they very often unscrew and open into my pocket. Not nice with a fountain pen. In closing the cap, the threads glide easily to a hard stop. And unscrew just as easily in my pocket. Repeatedly trying to tighten the cap further starts to back the receiver out of the tube.

Anyone else that carries these pens have this problem?

On a further note Who's idea was 1 1/2 turns? Makes aligning the grain a challange.

Tony

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

The four start threaded cap, makes for a fast open & close. Unfortunately, they make for a fast open and close.
This is the trade off from using a single start thread, (which I would prefer) and is the norm for alot of pen manufactureres.
Clewless posted some O rings he was selling the remedy this problem for the Jr/Baron pen. You want want to try a search using O rings.
I have not used them, but I think others have and maybe they will chime in to see if that solved the problem.

I would like to see a close up photo with an O ring installed.
I have this picture in my mind of an unsightly looking O ring on a pen in my head.

reed43

The O ring works very well. The cap will not come off by it's self.I think they are a #47 o-rings that can be found at local hardware stores. Put one at the base of the threaded center coupler and when you put the cap on it will lightly compress the top and lock it in place. Reed

gerryr

I have't had this problem with the Barons/Gents/Statesman that I've carried around. I have had that problem with the metal-to-metal threads consistently. The first rollerball I made and carried around was a Flattop American and everyday it would un-thread itself in my shirt pocket. I then carried two different Jr. Gents for quite a while and have been carrying a Baron for months and haven't had it happen even once.

tone

It is the plastic threads on the cap metal on the pen. The o-ring fix sounds awesome. The baron/ el grande/ churchill threads are excellent. Also with them line up the grain, screw it together and the grain is aligned. Thats as long as the grain is aligned when the pen was assembled.

Thanks everyone for all the info

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom