Gent Cap Tube Glue Up Problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I was wondering if others have a problem I have. Sometimes when I go to glue up the tube for the cap section of a Gentlemen's or Statesman pen, I have a problem with the brass tube binding up and not making it into the drilled blank all the way.

Any ideas on what I can do to avoide this? I drill it out carefully all the way through, but sometimes the tube binds up and I am left with between 1/8 to 1/4" of tube proud of the surface of the blank.

Thanks for your help!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

smoky10

What type of glue are you using Jim. I have had this problem with medium CA.and a blank that was a little moist.I now use only thick CA (when I use CA). After drilling a blank I push the tube through the hole to make sure it will go and then I glue it in.

joeatact

I have found that when you drill the blank heat builds up not only in the drilled part but also the undrilled part. This expands the wood. So when your done you try the blank right away and the tubes fit. But after the wood cools the tubes won't go in. I think moisture content and wood type affect this. I only have experienced this on certain woods. Like my own oak wood which I found contains alot of moisture. I have corrected this by redrilling when the wood is cured and by using a slightly larger bit. But first I would check moisture content. To much will encourage cracks.

Joe

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
This sounds like a CA gluing problem not a drilling problem... one of the reasons I only use epoxy to glue tubes in place...
Also ALWAYS test the fit of your tubes after drilling.. I did some acrylics recently and found that they were a tight fit even though I used the correct bit and kept it cool and cleared often... some wood blanks drilled the same time did not have the problem... solution was a dowel with some sandpaper and a couple of extra minutes work..

Ron Mc

Jim,
I use medium CA and have found that the heat build up in the blank seems to make the glue "set" faster sometimes. I try to let my freshly drilled blanks sit before I attempt to glue the tubes in. I always check fit before I begin.
Hope this helps.

Thanks Every One!

I am drilling using the bit I bought from CSUSA for this kit. I am drilling stabilized blanks only as well. I drilled out 25 Gent and Statesman blanks the other night, 3 had this problem. I am using medium CA and it works fine for most of my applications.

The one thing I have been doing is a second drilling of the cap blank now, sort of like a reaming process, as if the drilling part wasn't stress enough with this sized bit. I get a chirping sound as the bit travels through the hole, I work it now till it's almost gone.

I have to agree, the heat expansion of the material is probably a factor, but still not sure if I should go up a size or not on the bit. If any of you have done that could you recommend a size and supply for a bit please.

[:)]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Jim--the chirping you hear is friction caused by too much heat in the hole. Back off, let your bit cool, then finish drilling. 25 Statesman and Gentleman kits in one night probably has that bit smoking from time to time.

Randy_

Originally posted by Jim in Oakville<br />...but still not sure if I should go up a size or not on the bit...

From looking at the drill chart in the HUT catalog, the next largest standard size drill from a 37/64" bit would probably give you a larger hole than you would want. If the second drilling/reaming isn't working for you, I think I would go with the sandpaper trick mentioned by Tom. Should only take a few seconds as you are obviously real close to the size hole that you need.

I would still check the drill bit that you are using. It doesn't happen very often; but sometimes products that are new out of the box are not as they should be.

And one last thought...when reaming your blank, do it twice....once from each end of the blank!!

Well today I called CSUSA and spke with Nils. He put me through to Customer Serivce who took great care with me on this problem.

I guess since I am using stablized woods now the life of my bits is shorter. Makes sense to me now. To the credit of CSUSA they are replacing the tubes I need plus the big drill bit NC.

Now THAT Is why I like them, They have a quality of customer service like Lee Valley, and they deserve to be recognized for that..

Thank You CSUSA!![:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom