a general set of questions...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ahoiberg

howdy all, first time poster...

i've been turning pens for about a month or so now and having quite a blast if i may say so myself!

anywho, i've only done slimline and i've got the itch to try out some "classic" rollerball and fountains. i'm wondering where you all get your kits... i've been getting my slimline's from woodturningz and think i found the best deal for the others at PSI... any input on that matter?

also, the same mandrel i already own will work with the different bushings, correct? i know the hole jumps up to 10mm and the tubes that come with the kit are larger, etc. but i think they fit on the bushings instead of the mandrel if i've researched correctly? also, i read somewhere about a "stop bushing" but it doesn't seem to come with any of the bushing sets, is this piece really necessary or can i just use some 7mm bushings for space fillers?

i'm also searching for a good finish, i've read the thread about one of your finishes (can't remember the users name) but it involves some CA glue, white diamond buffing, and some TSW. the finish looks beautiful and can't wait to try it. as i'm sure a few of you can relate, i've been going for the 10 minute finish (salad bowl finish followed by some paste wax or PPP wax) for my first dozen pens so i can put them together and show them off to my wife... :D but i'm ready for a 'real' finish.

one more question, do i need a different pen mill or something to square the ends of the 10mm holes with??

anywho, where can one find TSW? I think i've got the remainder of the items necessary for that finish tracked down.

thanks in advance for peeking at my question and i look forward to some good pen turnin' discussion!

cheers,
andrew

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Andrew, anything you can get from PSI, you can get less expensively from Woodturningz, as they are a PSI-supported company. Arizona Silhouette and Beartooth Woods are good sources for Berea products, and Craft Supplies is good for their own line. As concerns the CA finish, check out Russ Fairfield's site. You can access it from the library. That will give you a great start! Have fun.

mrcook4570

You don't need a different pen mill. Just turn down a scrap blank (with slimline tube installed) to fit snugly inside the 10mm tube and use the pen mill that you currently have. IIRC, Arizona Silhouette carries TSW.

Welcome to IAP!

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by mrcook4570
<br />You don't need a different pen mill. Just turn down a scrap blank (with slimline tube installed) to fit snugly inside the 100mm tube and use the pen mill that you currently have. IIRC, Arizona Silhouette carries TSW.

Welcome to IAP!

Just curious, Stan, what pen kit is that?????? [;)]

mrcook4570

Cav, that would be the new swiss army survival pen, complete with fishing rod, space blanket, lighter, knife, and night vision scope [;)]

MDWine

Unless I miss my guess, the 'classic' is very much like an 'American Flat Top'.
Just my opinion, I would not recommend this kit until one as a few more kits under their belt. A cigar pen is much easier, and a very nice pen to give or sell. The FT can be challenging with the center band tenon, and frequently has transmission/assembly "challenges"...

or it could be that I'm the only one that has a problem with the FT, but not from what I see frequently on the board!

My advice, which is worth every bit of what you're paying for it [;)], stay with a simple kit like the cigar... or an atlas/polaris...

Alexander

I am going to have to agree with Michael. It is important to "practice" on some other pen types before you tackle a fountain pen or one of the high dollar kits. Cigar Pens will give you practice with different size bushings and the transition from lower to upper tube that you may contend with, and an Atlas or Polaris pen will give you some practice turning a little longer blank. Both kits are very nice and come in high-end finishes should you want to give one away for a gift.
As for where to go?? You have gotten some good advice from the others. You can get to all those sites from the member submitted links on the front page. Each has their own strengths. You will most likely not be disapointed with Arizona Silouettes.

JimGo

Other suggestions for a "next" pen - Sierra and Baron (Arizona Silhouette) and Jr. Gentleman's (Craft Supplies USA). None requires the use of a tennon. The Baron has straight barrels (both ends of the same barrel are the same diameter), which makes it even easier. I know you're new, and I know some here will disagree, but make sure you get the Ti Gold, Chrome, or Platinum finishes - the others wear off too quickly, even though they are less expensive. If you carry a pen with a "lesser" finish for any length of time, you'll wind up needing to replace the kit. The cost of that second kit will frequently be more than the cost of using the better finish in the first place.

ahoiberg

i've been turning only slimine kits, but straying from the standard model of them. i've done a few custom centerbands that turn out not unlike a cigar pen, i know the process is different with the cigar pen... but i don't know if this helps?? i've also done a few laminated pens, tried out the spiral pattern with 4 different kinds of wood, etc.. but thanks for the info, i'll order a cigar or something else with my kits... i'm just trying to eliminate buying a million different bushings sets, but it's impossible isn't it?? [:)]

Boomer

I am in the same boat that you are and I am looking to increase my pen turning thoughts also. I really enjoy the site because of the people here. Thanks for asking the questions that you did I was able to learn some things by your questions.

Dave

JimGo

Yeah, you're stuck buying the bushings, unless you want to make 'em yourself. You might actually consider buying a few sets when you place your order (I know, $6 a set seems like a ridiculous expense, but trust me, I'm cheap, and this is one of the better recommendations I can make). When you first start out, you're gonna ding the bushings a lot. You're also likely to get an order for whatever that pen is shortly after you've dinged the bushing, and need to turn it around pretty quickly, and be stuck with the dinged bushings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom