General questions about blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

TomG

Do you buy large pieces and cut them down?

Does each kit have a specific blank size?

What stabalized blanks?

I noticed some blanks come in two pcs. and others are one large piece, why one over the other?

Tom

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jjenk02

1.) Not usually, mostly buy blanks.
2.) To some extend, slimelines can be made with a 1/2 x 1/2 x 5 Blank, whereas the large pens require a 7/8 X 7/8 X 6 minimum blank. However most pens can use blanks that are 3/4 X 3/4 X 51/2, and this is the size most blanks come in.
3.) Blanks that are impregnated with some type (varies) of chemical to stabilize soft, unstabilized or roted wood so they don't come apart during turning.
4.) all blanks come in one piece, you have to cut it into two pieces to match the top and bottom of the pen you plan to make. Most pens are made in two pieces.

tipusnr

That a very LARGE set of questions that have been handled in many different discussions in the archives but here is a brief answer.

1. Yes, many of us buy large pieces and cut them down. Some cut them from tree trunks, limbs, and firewood. Others cut them from scraps from other projects. And still others buy ready made pen blanks from a variety of sources.

2. Yes, to a degree. The blank size depends on the shape you are going to end up with as well as the size hole you need to drill in them. Many kits share dimensions but not a majority of them. The blank length is determined by the pen kit with a large variation for the more creative among us.

3. Stabilized (I think I spelled that right) blanks are wooden pen blanks that have had a fluid (lacquer, CA glue, epoxy, polyurethane, etc.) either pressured, or sucked, into the fibers to keep them from cracking or otherwise coming apart while they are being turned.

4. One piece blanks are called full blanks and 2 piece blanks are called half blanks and the choice between them depends entirely on the kit chosen and your desires.

P.S. You forgot to ask about segmented, laminated, and non-wood blanks.

Take some time and cruise through the archives and the tutorials and you'll get a lot of great info fast!

What James said, except some suppliers do in fact offer "mini blanks", which require 2 to complete most pens. Problem with these, IMO, is that its sort of difficult to establish grain pattern if you don't even know for sure that the two pieces even came from the same forest!

TomG

Originally posted by tipusnr
<br />That a very LARGE set of questions that have been handled in many different discussions in the archives but here is a brief answer.

1. Yes, many of us buy large pieces and cut them down. Some cut them from tree trunks, limbs, and firewood. Others cut them from scraps from other projects. And still others buy ready made pen blanks from a variety of sources.

2. Yes, to a degree. The blank size depends on the shape you are going to end up with as well as the size hole you need to drill in them. Many kits share dimensions but not a majority of them. The blank length is determined by the pen kit with a large variation for the more creative among us.

3. Stabilized (I think I spelled that right) blanks are wooden pen blanks that have had a fluid (lacquer, CA glue, epoxy, polyurethane, etc.) either pressured, or sucked, into the fibers to keep them from cracking or otherwise coming apart while they are being turned.

4. One piece blanks are called full blanks and 2 piece blanks are called half blanks and the choice between them depends entirely on the kit chosen and your desires.

P.S. You forgot to ask about segmented, laminated, and non-wood blanks.

Take some time and cruise through the archives and the tutorials and you'll get a lot of great info fast!

Basiclly I read something search then ask. I found a lot of info at Arizona Sil. website. I usually over complicate things.[V]

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by TomG
<br />Do you buy large pieces and cut them down?

Does each kit have a specific blank size?

What stabalized blanks?

I noticed some blanks come in two pcs. and others are one large piece, why one over the other?

Tom

I start with very large pieces. They are called 'trees'. Then I cut them down and to size. [;)]
Most kits will work with the standard 3/4"X3/4"X5" blank. Some need a larger piece for drilling to accept a large tube.
Stabilized blanks are those which have been treated, either with pressure or vacuum, with harding materials like plastics or resins to hold togther while being turned.

JimGo

Tom,
Bill's advise wasn't meant as an insult - we get a lot of new members who ask the same basic questions we all asked when we were new members. One of the best pieces of advice I was given when I started was to search the <u>archives</u>. A standard search doesn't return "archived" posts (those that have been inactive for a certain period of time). Given that the site is now 3 years old, there is a LOT more info in the archive than in the active posts. You'll be amazed at the depth and breadth of information there, and searching the archives will usually lead you to not only the answer you're seeking, but also answers to other questions you didn't even know you had.

So, how do you search the archives? Simple. Choose Standard Search from the menu a the top of the page, then, when you do the search, make sure the "Check Archives" check box is checked before you click Submit. If your search times out, try adding a few more words. If you <u>still</u> have trouble with the searches, contact Jeff - we may be having a problem with the server.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Also in searching, there seems to be a cumulative effect, i.e, if you use the same words and ask it to search archives three or four times, you MAY get results on the later searches.

If Jeff thinks this is improbable, I stand corrected, but it has happened to me, so now I try more than one "time-out" cycle.[:0][:0][:0][:0]

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
It's not improbable, but it shouldn't work that way. The standard search uses a very optimized search technique that almost never times out. Use it when you can. The advanced search is someone else's code and it is not optimized the same way and will time out. I suppose it's possible that more stuff is in the cache on successive searches and so more stuff gets found before it times out.

TomG

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Tom,
Bill's advise wasn't meant as an insult - we get a lot of new members who ask the same basic questions we all asked when we were new members. One of the best pieces of advice I was given when I started was to search the <u>archives</u>. A standard search doesn't return "archived" posts (those that have been inactive for a certain period of time). Given that the site is now 3 years old, there is a LOT more info in the archive than in the active posts. You'll be amazed at the depth and breadth of information there, and searching the archives will usually lead you to not only the answer you're seeking, but also answers to other questions you didn't even know you had.

So, how do you search the archives? Simple. Choose Standard Search from the menu a the top of the page, then, when you do the search, make sure the "Check Archives" check box is checked before you click Submit. If your search times out, try adding a few more words. If you <u>still</u> have trouble with the searches, contact Jeff - we may be having a problem with the server.

Sorry, I did not take it as an insult at all. Actually I understand that the same questions are asked over and over again. I am new to searching forums and sometimes not sure how to locate info. I apologize if my post seemed out of line. I was actually putting my self down not his post.

Tom

ilikewood

Honestly Tom, the bigger the blank, the better. If it is smaller, you are limited to a few types of pens.....if it is larger, you can do just about any pen (yes there is more waste when turning smaller pens).

Some people buy larger blocks or boards and cut their own....you are then limited by what you buy. The better option, IMHO, is to buy small amounts of different types and find what woods are best for you and your style of pens. I would hate to see you buy a large quantity of wood and find you or your customers don't like it (or are allergic to it in some cases). Start with small quantities of variety, but try and buy the larger pen blanks if possible.

JimGo

Tom,
I'm glad you took both Bill's and my advice in the spirit in which it was intended (or at least the spirit in which my advice was intended - I don't presume to speak for Bill!). I didn't mean mine to sound like I was coming down on you, either. I am frequently one of those who says "search the archives" to new members, and wanted to take the time to explain what I mean when I say that, and the advantages of doing so.

I look forward to seeing pics of your pens!!!! Good luck!

SteveB

A newbe here, but I have been bitten by the bug. I have turn what 8 pens, wood & acrylic, but I caught my self weaving in and out of traffic trying to get a better look at a pickup truck with it's bed full of large chucks that looked like a elm tree trunk cut into pieces,got mad when someone would not let me in beside him for a better look- is there hope for me or should I get out now before I morgage my house for more blanks and kits

jjenk02

Originally posted by SteveB
<br />A newbe here, but I have been bitten by the bug. I have turn what 8 pens, wood & acrylic, but I caught my self weaving in and out of traffic trying to get a better look at a pickup truck with it's bed full of large chucks that looked like a elm tree trunk cut into pieces,got mad when someone would not let me in beside him for a better look- is there hope for me or should I get out now before I morgage my house for more blanks and kits

Get out NOW before its TOO late[:D][:D][:D]

mdburn_em

Tom,
There might be others who disagree (I don't think there are many) but you are not out of line. For every question you've asked, there were probably 20 other new penturners lurking here who wanted to ask but didn't want to, for whatever reason. JimGo gave some very good advice about how to search the site and it is necessary to periodically provide that information as new turners join the group.
One of the most fun is making a great looking pen from "found" or "free" wood. As has been mentioned, spring might bring some pruning of trees where you live. We have a lot of shrubs where I love and I've found some outstanding figure in some of the dead/dying ones. There are sites that will sell a package that contains a variety of woods. This is an easy and relatively cheap way to gain exposure to a wide variety of woods. You can see what you like and then focus on the wood/material you find you are really passionate about. For example, I love Amboyna and I buy large blocks of it and then cut my own blanks to the size I think I want. If you buy large blocks and cut it yourself, you will save money because you're not having to pay someone else to cut it. (You really should know you like that wood though cuz you'll have a lot of it.)
The kits will, I think, always give you the minimum size. Of course that is adjustable depending on how accurately you can drill the holes without blowouts.
That brings you to another of your questions. Some people might not have a drill press and you can purchase blanks that are in 2 pieces and drilled to fit. Of course, you will pay someone for their labor. Another reason I can think of, is that in the case of snakeskin, they are cast on specific pen tubes--hence the the 2 pieces.
Another reason for stabilizing blanks is to allow coloring (I love double dyed box elder burl) as well as permitting the use of wood that would normally be too unstable to be worked on a lathe. Some wood has wonderful grain or color but is too soft to use for something that takes as much abuse as a pen. (Stabilizing will harden the wood).
Happy turning.

TomG

Originally posted by mdburn_em
<br />Tom,
There might be others who disagree (I don't think there are many) but you are not out of line. For every question you've asked, there were probably 20 other new penturners lurking here who wanted to ask but didn't want to, for whatever reason. JimGo gave some very good advice about how to search the site and it is necessary to periodically provide that information as new turners join the group.
One of the most fun is making a great looking pen from "found" or "free" wood. As has been mentioned, spring might bring some pruning of trees where you live. We have a lot of shrubs where I love and I've found some outstanding figure in some of the dead/dying ones. There are sites that will sell a package that contains a variety of woods. This is an easy and relatively cheap way to gain exposure to a wide variety of woods. You can see what you like and then focus on the wood/material you find you are really passionate about. For example, I love Amboyna and I buy large blocks of it and then cut my own blanks to the size I think I want. If you buy large blocks and cut it yourself, you will save money because you're not having to pay someone else to cut it. (You really should know you like that wood though cuz you'll have a lot of it.)
The kits will, I think, always give you the minimum size. Of course that is adjustable depending on how accurately you can drill the holes without blowouts.
That brings you to another of your questions. Some people might not have a drill press and you can purchase blanks that are in 2 pieces and drilled to fit. Of course, you will pay someone for their labor. Another reason I can think of, is that in the case of snakeskin, they are cast on specific pen tubes--hence the the 2 pieces.
Another reason for stabilizing blanks is to allow coloring (I love double dyed box elder burl) as well as permitting the use of wood that would normally be too unstable to be worked on a lathe. Some wood has wonderful grain or color but is too soft to use for something that takes as much abuse as a pen. (Stabilizing will harden the wood).
Happy turning.

Thanks Mark!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom