General Closed End Design

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

tnilmerl

I seen a lot of pics here of closed end pens. All are a step up in character and class over the factory supplied kits.

I have turned a few myself, but without one of those new fangled pen chucks. Well, I broke down and bought one, but before I blow thru a few blanks and tubes, I want to spend some time and forethought in determining what is visually the most appealing closed end design, as well as the most pleasing to the hand.

Based on the pics I've seen here and on the web, the sweeping coke bottle design seems to be the most popular. I wonder if that is by intent or just a common coincidence?

I've seen a few that are the straight barrel, rounded over ends that I'll refer to as the 'cigar-style'. The previously mentioned 'coke-bottle' where the mid barrel section swells out, then slims in at the end before flaring out again seems the most popular with the 'cigar-style' a not too close second place.

Other, less popular seem to be a a taper variation. Pens are either turned wide at the center and taper to a tip at the end, or vice-versa - slim in the middle and flaring out at the end, forming either a flat end or rounded over end.

I know I am opening a can or worms with lots at strong opinions, but I want to hear what everyone else has to say on the topic. Remember, the pen has to be esthetically pleasing both visually and tactilely.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
A lot of the shape depends on whether or not you want to post the cap. If you do, then the closed end shape and length will be similar to that of the kit. If you don't want to post the cap. you can make it any shape that appeals to you and any length that will contain the internals and still fit in a shirt pocket.

I make mine the way I do because I like them, and it is a shape that is about as far removed from looking like a kit and most commercial pens as I can get. Others will make other shapes because they are "different" and because they like them.

Chuck Key

Originally posted by RussFairfield
<br />you can make it any shape that appeals to you and any length that will contain the internals and still fit in a shirt pocket.

Shirt pocket? Must be the male version. What shape is the female version for the purse?

Chuckie

tnilmerl

Good input Russ. I make my closed ends with a measured taper on the end sufficient to 'post' te cap, as you say. Makes the pen slightly longer than the standard kit, but acceptable.

tnilmerl

Skye, agree with your comments. When I turn per customer specs, I do it they way they want.

But, if I want to turn up a batch of pens for free lance sells, I want to make sellers, not keepers or stock for the 'gift' inventory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom