Gemstone blank advice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MichaelTS

Hi All,

I've picked up a couple of Gemstone blanks (azurite and chilean lapis) to turn my wife and I a couple of pens. I've not decided yet if I'm going to use a Baron for them, but that's likely.

My question is this. Reading the recommendations and advice indicates that this stuff is quite brittle and prone to fracturing when turning (as I would expect). Instead of turning it to the final dimension, can I get it close and then use a file, much like you would when fitting a brass plumbing piece as a Ferrule?

I've several quality files and I was thinking that this method might be lower risk and increase the chances of success. I figured the blank was a gamble on my ability to turn it - but I like a challenge :)

Just working on increasing my odds, ya know?

TIA for assistance.

michael

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

marcruby

It also helps to grind down the corners of the blank on a disk or belt sander - it goe the gouge a head start. The azurite is a bonafide pain to turn.

Marc

hebertjo

I have turned the Chilean Lapis and it is the hardest stuff I have turned to date! It seemed to dull my tools as soon as I touched it. You would have to pay me a mint to turn another pen with that. It is pretty when done but painful getting there.

MichaelTS

Thanks all. I had considered taking off the corners as well, sounds like it is a good idea.

I'm not above using sand paper for this :) I have no intention ot turning these in volume.

I'll post pics once done (of course:))

michael

Top Bottom