Gemini bushing spec. ??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefyter-emt

Does anyone have a set of bushings for a Gemini kit?? I bought one to try out (I think they will be good in my market area) But I planned to try making my own bushings in Corian. The trickey thing is the way the kit is made it is very hard to measure the hardware. I am looking for the size of the large end of the bushings and if they are not the same which is the nib ect.. I could even turn them on the combo pen bushings, but they are a little too small.

Thanks in advance!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim15

Hello Lee,

I'm not real good with calipers, I can take four readings and get several different readings[:)][:)]. However I think they are 0.474, both the same. These bushings are from PSI.

Firefyter-emt

Thanks Jim, that was the range I was getting on the hardware, but with the rounded hardware, it is a bugger to try to measure. Strange thing is that the insrructions say there is a large & a small bushing [?]

Firefyter-emt

I think it is a PSI exclusive kit..

JIM.. I need more help though. I bought the wrong kit to make my own bushings, I found that the bushing is made to press the pen togather too!! Can you please measure the length of the long bushing so I can put this dang pen togather!!!

Thanks!

angboy

I don't think they are the same. According to the instructions:

Insert the tip coupler into the narrow end of the barrel and
press in place.

Insert the sleeve holder into the opening at the opposite side,
recessed end in first. Use the cap bushing's long end extension
to push the sleeve holder inside. Push it to the shoulder of
the bushing.

I think they're similar, b/c I've sometimes had a hard time figuring out which one is the smaller, but I don't think they're exactly the same.

Randy_

Originally posted by angboy
<br />.....I think they're similar, b/c I've sometimes had a hard time figuring out which one is the smaller, but I don't think they're exactly the same.

DSA: Don't you have a dial caliper in that fancy new shop of yours?? If not, you should get one, pronto!![;)]

BillK

I have made 3 of these pens and all of them did not work at all. The clicker mechanism is what I have problems with, I couldn't give these pens away (or I wouldn't). The bushings are the same diameter for both ends, .475" and the length of the portion to insert the sleeve is approx. .885" long. It's too bad because it is a unique pen. I hope you have better luck than I did.

Firefyter-emt

Bill, I will not be after this one either. Not so much the clicker part (which is a little flukey) but more on the clip. I feel that within weeks the finish would be ruined by that clip design. It can move side to side way too much The look is ok, but like I said, it is just sub-Wal-mart quailty. [;)]

Now I assume that the other pen kits like this (altas, ect) are the same with the bushings? Do you use the bushing to press the pen togather? I want to add a short pen to my line and though this would sell well with the artsy, antique shopping clients I have.

BillK

Hi Lee, I have made the Polaris, which I think is the same as the Atlas and Patriot, and liked those kits. They do not go together the same way as the Gemini, they are twist pens not clickers. The only thing to watch on those kits is the fit between the nib and pen barrel, any size variation between the nib and barrel is very noticeable. The bushings are different sizes on each end for this kit too. The Polaris pencil mechanism is terrible also. The way to load new lead is difficult and makes it to easy to break the lead while trying to load it because you need to load it thru the front tip. If you're looking for a shorter pen look at the sierra, seems to be popular with a lot of people now.

Firefyter-emt

Yea, that is going to be my route, I wanted to try the Gemini just because it is so wild looking that I think it would sell really well. What I dont want is a lot of comebacks because the clip is scratching the finish up in a line about 1/2" wide side to side. From what I can tell it would only be a matter of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom