Gel Refills

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I used to avoid writing with a rollerball in favor of Parker-style ball points. I have since totally went in the other direction in favor of rollerballs (for writing).

I was wondering what you folks think about Parker-style gel refills and which do you like the best. When I do use a BP, it is always a Schmidt 9000 series. I thought the gel refills may come closer to the rollerball feel.

What do you like for Parker style gel refills?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jack Parker

Tony, I just checked their catalog and they don't say specifically the type of ink in the cartridge. They state: "SCHMIDT® easyFLOW 9000 combines the advantages of the well-known ball point refill with those of a rollerball refill creating a completely new market segment in the field of writing instruments." I didn't see another listing that specifically called out gel ink. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than myself will chime in.

TonyL

Thank you all. I could have Googled the same....didn't mean to burden you with the search.
Used uses a PSI gel, by accident...came with a Ciigar kit. I liked it for the first 2 minutes, then it started skipping. I thought a higher quality one would make a difference. I will hunter around and share what I learn.

Thank you all for your interest and effort!

TonyL

Thank you. So is mine when using a traditional Parker style ballpoint. However, I asking
What do you like for Parker style gel refills?

penmaker56

The Schmidt easyFLOW 9000 is a low viscosity ball point ink, it is not a gel ink. The Parker brand gel ink cartridge, in my opinion, is an inferior refill to the easyFLOW 9000, and to other Parker style gel ink cartridges such as the Monteverde, and the Visconti, as the Parker brand does not write as smoothly. (Plus, as I do repairs on the Parker Duofold ball point pens, it is usually the cause of an interior leak, and is a mess to clean up.)

MTViper

Tony,
I have used Parker brand gel refills as well as others from PSI and other sources. I like writing with a gel pen because they are usually smoother than a ballpoint or rollerball, but then I also like writing with a fountain pen for the same reasons.

My experience is that the generic brands of gel ink don't last as long as the Parker brand refills. Parker also offers a gel refill with a fine point rather than a medium with all others. I get my Parker brand refills from any big box office supply store.

That having been said, the pens I sell or give away, have a Schmidt refill for longer lasting, smoother writing.

Steve

greggas

Private Reserve and Monteverde both make Parker style Gel refills in several colors. I oddest sell a lot of those but the clients that do request them have been very happy

TonyL

Thanks folks. I really mis-worded my question. Sorry to send you guys on a wild goose chase.

I did get my answer from the Pen Addict site. I was looking for any gel refill that can replace a Parker style refill. The gel refill does not have to be a Parker brand.

That site is pretty interesting.

Thanks again and for your help ; it is greatly appreciated.

TonyL

With respect to gels, like the MonteVerde, but the Parker Quink is a close second/practically a tie. I find both to work well when used daily. I have the same experience with rollerballs, except i must cap them immediately. I haven't found anything that beats the consistency, delivery, and longevity of a schmidt 9000 ball point. But now I am hooked on roller balls or gels. Six months ago, I wouldn't go near them....go figure. :)

jttheclockman

Tony I too am a fan of the easy flow but lately I have made a zen pen my go to pen and fell in love with the Schmidt 888M rollerball. So smooth. Little effort to write with.

Top Bottom