Gatsby question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I have a customer who has asked my help with a Gatsby assembly. He says when he installs the cap on the Transmission he has about a 1/16th gap between the cap and clip. Anyone have this problem. I think there are only two possible causes 1) the transmission is not completely seated in the clip assembly and 2) something is causing the cap to not fully seat on the transmission.

Anyone have a similar problem? If so how did you fix it?

Thank you

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ToddMR

Almost sounds like the tube might be too short. Did they "Insert the upper cap/clip assembly over the mechanism, place the entire pen into the pen press. Press in to close the gap to the center band." ?

If they go slow it might be just not pressed in good enough. Just a thought.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I'll pass it on

It looks to me like the length of the tube is not relavent to the problem he described but I will pass your suggestion on.it might work

ToddMR

The tube length could be a factor if it was trimmed, the transmission would then press up against the cap not allowing the cap to be pressed snug against the blank. I know because I had that happen to me once. Tried to trim off too much to fix an issue and the transmission ended up popping out the platted part of the cap.

louie68

Make sure the spring is inserted freely first (you will know when you see the refill bounce up & down when dropping in make sure you screw trans all the way down you will see the tip come all the way out. hopefully this will help,also turning cap back & forth and watch the tip to see if you got good movement.

Mark

According to my instructions, the cap and clip are already one piece. If your customer has a gap between the cap and clip, then the assembly needs to be pressed back together. If there is a small cut out in the cap ring for the clip to sit flush, maybe the clip just got turned a bit and needs to be re-aligned. If the gap is actually between the clip and the blank body, then maybe the tube is a bit long and needs to be trimmed down to the blank material. IDK (all guesses on my part.) Good Luck.

nava1uni

If he is talking about the transmission not seating all the way into the top of the pen he should check for glue in the end of the tube that is stopping the transmission from seating properly. The cap could also have some glue caught in it or when he pressed it into the tube he could have a bend in the cap end.

wood-of-1kind

There is a "slot" where the pen clip is inserted. If the clip does not "seat" in the slot then the cap will not fit properly and extend "longer" than it should. This will appear to make the tube shorter than it is. Check to ensure that the pen clip is properly inserted in the SLOT (indent).

By the way Smitty, I love the Gatsby kits that you "officially" never sold to me. A great pen.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
According to my instructions, the cap and clip are already one piece. If your customer has a gap between the cap and clip, then the assembly needs to be pressed back together. If there is a small cut out in the cap ring for the clip to sit flush, maybe the clip just got turned a bit and needs to be re-aligned. If the gap is actually between the clip and the blank body, then maybe the tube is a bit long and needs to be trimmed down to the blank material. IDK (all guesses on my part.) Good Luck.
Cap and clip can't be one piece the cap is removeable and used to advance and retract the tip. You must be looking at Sierra instructions...

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
didn't know

If he is talking about the transmission not seating all the way into the top of the pen he should check for glue in the end of the tube that is stopping the transmission from seating properly. The cap could also have some glue caught in it or when he pressed it into the tube he could have a bend in the cap end.

I'll pass this along...he really didn't know what was going on...just that when he put the cap on it didn't seat fully.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Glad you like them

There is a "slot" where the pen clip is inserted. If the clip does not "seat" in the slot then the cap will not fit properly and extend "longer" than it should. This will appear to make the tube shorter than it is. Check to ensure that the pen clip is properly inserted in the SLOT (indent).

By the way Smitty, I love the Gatsby kits that you "officially" never sold to me. A great pen.

I'll let him know about that, I gave him a couple of ideas and if they don't work I might just have him send me the pen.

Top Bottom