Gatsby Pen v2 - Gripe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rangertrek

I ordered a few Gatsby pens from PSI for a client. The kits that came in are the version 2 (v2) product. Totally different from the last kits ordered. Did not know the change had been made. (Also came with the old instruction sheet.) This kit remembles the Dive Pen for parts, etc.

My gripe is the new transmission and assembly. 2 of 3 kits had bad threads on the transmission so that when the top is twisted, the nib does not extend. After much rework, finally got the point to retract and work properly. :mad::mad:

Anyone else having this problem???? I plan to contact PSI about the problem I am having.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dankc908

I didn't realize that PSI had changed their Gatsby. Can you (or anyone else) enlighten me on the changes and how can I tell which one(s) I would be getting when I order (I usually go through Wood N Whimsies).

TIA,
Dan

Rangertrek

Gatsby Update

I will try to get some pics of the parts later today and add to the post.
I don't know how you would which version of the kit you would get when ordering. I thing any of the suppliers should clearly indicate which kit they are selling.

The v1 Gatsby has basically 3 parts plus the refill and spring. The v2 kit now has 7 parts plus the refill and spring. The link to the insrtuction sheet is below. The "twist" is now on the top of the clip end. Very similar to the Diva pen.

http://www.pennstateind.com/library/PKGAPENxx2_ins.pdf

I find the transmission is "stiff" to opeate. When retracted, the refill tip does not go all the way back into the tip assembly. The act of installing the transmission into the clip assembly is not smooth. Threading may be a little off. I made three of these yesterday and had problems with two of them. On one with the problem tip is a Texas Flag Kit.:mad:

I plan to write a review of this kit and post some pictures. Thanks for letting me 'vent' on this one.

dankc908

Thanks, John, for the link to the instructions. I guess, when ordering, I will ask Wood N Whimsies what they are selling (v. 1 vs. v. 2) and make other decisions accordingly. Fortunately I have ordered some Sierras just to see the difference. If I can't get v. 1 of the Gatsby then I can work very well with the Sierras!

Dan

Russianwolf

looking at the instruction sheet, it looks like they are trying to fix the problem that many have had with the sierra. A customer unscrewing the tranny part way and pushing it into the finial until at some point the tranny gets "lost" in the finial and some creativity is needed to get it back out.

Now fixing one problem, maybe they made some new ones......

Does it still use the same bushings as the sierra?

papaturner

I think the only ones I have used are the V.1. However every one I made there was a problem with the transmission. I completely stopped using them and went to Woodcraft Wall Street II. Much better, works a lot smoother.

Dan26

The first Gatsby kits I ordered from PSI were v2. I didn't know there was an older version. I don't like the transmission much. It does feel stiffer, not nearly as smooth as the Sierra or Wall Street II.

sbell111

It looks like it now works like the Executive kit. If that's true, I am all for the change and hope that the Sierra/Wall Street II, Monet, etc manufacturers follow suit.

Top Bottom