Gatsby issue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

I am having an issue with a Gatsby twist. The refill is not extending far enough, it barely clears the end of the nose cone. The tube measures out to be the specified length. The refill moves in and out of the nose cone freely. Refill is the right length. I am going to swap out the transmission to see if that makes a difference. I would rather not knock it apart and shorten the barrel but may have to.

Any thoughts on what might be the problem?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

I had problems with trimming too much off and the refill wouldn't retract all the way. For some reason the Gatsby has a close tollerence on the tube lenght. That's why I started using the other brands of that style pen. This doesn't really answer your question but I replied to let you know it's not just you.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I had a similar problem with a couple of the LeRoi kits (Gatsby clones), but not quite as bad as you described. I was able to solve the problem by leaving off one of the little ~1/32" trim rings, but I don't think a standard Gatsby gives you that option.

Like Kenny suggested, I probably sanded off just a little of the tube while trimming the blank. I like finial twists, but they don't give you much latitude for error.

You might try inserting a small plug of some kind at the head of the refill to make up the difference you need.

qquake

It sounds like you maybe didn't trim the blank enough. I trim til the tube ends are shiny, and haven't had a problem.

Attachments

• 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 157
  • 037.JPG
    037.JPG
    303.2 KB · Views: 162
  • 026.JPG
    026.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 136
  • 038.JPG
    038.JPG
    285 KB · Views: 156
  • 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 156
  • 035.JPG
    035.JPG
    370.5 KB · Views: 151

Cwalker935

It sounds like you maybe didn't trim the blank enough. I trim til the tube ends are shiny, and haven't had a problem.

I trim until the metal is shiny as well.

I tried a different transmission not that, I can't figure out what is going on. I will either do some sort of shim as Edgar suggests or knock it apart and trim the barrel.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
That's why the little trim rings are there. Finial twist pens are sensitive to tube length. Trim too much and they will over extend, too little and they won't fully extend.
I had a similar problem with a couple of the LeRoi kits (Gatsby clones), but not quite as bad as you described. I was able to solve the problem by leaving off one of the little ~1/32" trim rings, but I don't think a standard Gatsby gives you that option.

Like Kenny suggested, I probably sanded off just a little of the tube while trimming the blank. I like finial twists, but they don't give you much latitude for error.

You might try inserting a small plug of some kind at the head of the refill to make up the difference you need.

Cwalker935

I took Jim's advice and compared it to another Gatsby kit and found that the nose cone on this kit is longer. This is the first rhodium twist Gatsby that I have turned and wonder if the rhodium kit is a little different. It may come with a shorter tube but the instructions do not indicate that. I used a tube in casting so its not necessarily the tube that came with the kit. The tube that I used matches the instruction sheet.

Top Bottom