Gatsby Disassembly?????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lago

I just completed by first Gatsby pen and made a big time newbie mistake. So I am trying to disassemble it to correct the problem. I didn't catch it as the time but I didn't trim the blank all the way down to the tube. I noticed it after I turned and finished it. Being acrylic, I was afraid that I would mess it up if I tried to trim it again and thought that I could seat the transmission to bypass the problem.

Wrong..being my first Gatsby, quickly found out that the length does make a difference. As a result, the refill tip doesn't come out far enough.

I would like to take it apart to correct the problem but not sure what is the best way. I have taken slimlines apart based on a tip I found here but nothing so far on the Gatsby.

Any suggestion??

Thanks
Lago

hewunch

Transfer punch set from harbor freight and others will disassemble nearly every pen kit available.

t001xa22

Lago, help me remember as I have not made a Gatsby in a while: is the ink cartridge Parker or Cross? Assuming they are Parkers, I have removed the black machined upper plastic cap from a cartridge, and reinserted it, only going in 1/2 the distance back in. I touched it with a spot of CA to set it. This will gain just a little extra length to the cartridge. In doing so, your nib will extend a little further. I have done this on pens I was not going to sell, but instead keep for my use. The only catch is that for every future refill, you will have to do the same thing again. The advice to use a disassembly set of punches is good, and certainly better than this one, for a more permanent fix.

Last edited:

lago

After I did the post, I looked at the PSI Disassembly tool. WTH..another trip to HF should do it.

BTW it is a twist pen with Parker refill.

Lago

Top Bottom