Gatsby, Diplomat, Sierra Problems

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dankc908

I have had a few problems with some of my Gatsby, Diplomat, and Sierra Pens (all using 27/64" tubes). A few of them are VERY HARD to 'twist' open and closed. This is after I've assembled the entire pen. When I don't have the blank assembled the transmission seems to work fine. I have a Diplomat in my pocket and the tip does not fully extend out from the 'nib' end. It doesn't matter if it is any of the above 3 styles (they are all very similar - different manufacturers and vendors). I'd sure appreciate any ideas you all could throw my way!

Dan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ve3bax

I usually give my tubes the once over with a rat tail file before I assemble... gets any adhesive that managed to work its way in there out, and if theres a slight burr on the edge of the tube from some over-zealous barrel trimming it will take care of that too... any extra crud in the barrel will make the twist extra hard... just dont get too nuts with the file... you cant really un-file to fix a sloppy fit.. :cool:

--Dave

Last edited:

renowb

Funny you mention this. I just had one where it was resisting somewhat. I removed the barrel from it and the mechanisn worked fine.
When you take the pen apart, exposing the transmission, does it turn freely?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Trouble shooting 101: Isolate the problem.

If it works (extends and retracts) without the "top" on, it is most likely not a mechanical problem. Now, work on fit of components.

My "first guess" would be the tube (upper, brass) is rubbing on the nib extension that holds the transmission. Are you using a "stock" of tubes, or the tube that comes with each kit?

Try a brass tube over the pen nib and tranny, does it turn freely?

You know the problem is in the top, and you know you have had it with different manufacturers, which usually means its something you are doing---there' not MUCH in that top that can go wrong!!

JohnU

Not sure of this is a posibility but, I've had this problem a couple times when I milled the ends and took a bit too much of the tube off with the blank.

kenspens

i had a similar problem and took a digital caliper and measured the length of a new tube then checked it against my blank and found i had removed a bit to much material
it may or may not be the problem but that has been the only issue i have had with that style of pen!!
ken brown
kenspens

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
It's a little confusing

I have had a few problems with some of my Gatsby, Diplomat, and Sierra Pens (all using 27/64" tubes). A few of them are VERY HARD to 'twist' open and closed. This is after I've assembled the entire pen. When I don't have the blank assembled the transmission seems to work fine. I have a Diplomat in my pocket and the tip does not fully extend out from the 'nib' end. It doesn't matter if it is any of the above 3 styles (they are all very similar - different manufacturers and vendors). I'd sure appreciate any ideas you all could throw my way!

Dan

This is a little confusing to me because you have two different mechanisms involved - Sierra's the lower barrel is the twist and Gatsbys are finial twist (I'm not sure about the Diplomats). I have seen the Gatsby style pens where they turn a little hard and the transmissions start to unscrew before the tip retracts but that is just because the transmission was not screwed in tight. I have had trouble extending a couple of times when the hole in the tip was a tad tight or when the spring got hung up on something.

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If you are using a "stock" of tubes, they may be slightly shorter than the one that comes with the kit.

I BELIEVE the Sierra Elegant Beauty is shorter than the normal Sierra---there are so many kits that are close to the same, it's hard to tell which is which.

dexter0606

I've had this happen occassionally with Sierra's. Can't speak for the others. In my case it's usually a problem with the tube ID I scrape the ID with an exacto knife to clean it out. Works every time.

I BELIEVE the Sierra Elegant Beauty is shorter than the normal Sierra

The Berea's all use the same tube

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Just checked--the button click is a quarter inch shorter than the rest, but the sierra elegant beauty IS the same as all the sierra twist styles, from Berea.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
One thing they all have in common (and can cause binding) is that
it is easy to miss the fact that there is a top and bottom end to the
spring. The wider end goes down toward the paper. If it is reversed,
you can push the spring down toward the end of the nib, where it will
jam between the refill and the inside of the nib.

.. not that I ever did such a thing :redface:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I Know....

If you are using a "stock" of tubes, they may be slightly shorter than the one that comes with the kit.

I BELIEVE the Sierra Elegant Beauty is shorter than the normal Sierra---there are so many kits that are close to the same, it's hard to tell which is which.
You are probably right. I KNOW the Le Roi Elegant is shorter than the standard Sierra/Gatsby/Wall Street/Le Roi. The lower band is wider and they also include a washer so it's 3/64th (give or take a whisker) shorter.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
As more and more versions make their way to our shops, it will be VERY advisable to use the tubes that came with the components you are assembling (which, in my shop, would be a genuine PIA!!)

dankc908

Many Thanks to everyone. I took the offending pens, disassembled them, reamed both ends of the blanks and VOILA! All except for one which did not let the tip of the refill extend fully. I took the blank, switched kits and it works great. I might give the offending kit a second look re: hole size. Your ideas and comments helped GREATLY!

Dan

t001xa22

An eye-opener for me was the above comment about the orientation of the spring. I never really realized how important it was to turn it one certain way. The majority of the springs on my kits were already on the cartridges when I got them. Thanks.

Top Bottom