Gator video, thanks Ed!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ToddMR

Ed thanks for posting your drilling and turning video for the gator blanks. I am nervous as heck to turn this thing. I did drill it out on the lathe, no issues there at all. I will say the cap tube fits pretty snug. I actually had to take it back out and drill with the 12.5 bit again because all the paint came off my tube due to how snug it was. I ended up using a black perm marker to color that tube instead. It was still a pretty snug fit. The lower section was np with the painted tube. So I might work on rounding the blank tonight. I am still nervous, but will follow what you showed using thin CA once it is round. Using my woodchuck pro with a fresh blade for sure. Keeping my fingers crossed that it all turns out. Using an Atrax rb kit for this one.:cool:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tkbarron

Hey Todd,

Ed does a heck of a job with his videos. He always points out the things to watch for, so just follow his advice and you'll be fine. All I will add is this: take your time, take light cuts, stop down and douse the bone a few times as you turn and be sure to clean out any dust before you apply your finish coats of CA.

It's really not difficult to turn if you take care and have a little patience. Please let us know how the pen turns out!

Oh, and thanks for giving the gator a try!

Tom

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Just a quick addition, Todd. Tom and I talked a couple days ago and we identified the fact that he uses significantly more CA than I do.

EITHER method will work, but I think his is a little safer (as in more likely NOT to FAIL).
He puts a substantial coat of thin CA on, to the point of covering his ways so the drips don't get on the lathe. This may result in the bushings being glued in, but he correctly states "I know I can get the bushings out".

I put thin CA on with the paper towel you see in the video. But, I put it on often.

I have sent a few PM's this week about this and developed a new (to me) saying, "Putting CA on a minute too soon is better than a second too late!!"

It is NOT difficult, just requires patience and the result is well worth it!!!

Let us see your pen---when it is complete!!!
Thanks,
Ed

Top Bottom