Gator jaws

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

warthog

I was wondering how big do the jaws need to be in order to use them for the purpose of pen turning? I have some friends that might be able to help me acquire some. I am also assuming that you can only use the lower jaw...and that the jaw more than likely comes from a smaller gator...but what size is the best?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

qballizhere

If you are newer to pen turning I wouldn't suggest jumping on the jaw bone just yet. It is more advanced material to use. Just cutting and drilling can be a challenge at times. There is a nerve hole that runs under the teeth. That is what I use to start drilling the blank.

As for what size jaw to use it depends on the kit you want to use. A slimline you can use smaller bone but then you need to decide if you want to turn it natural or cast it in PR. If your turning it naturally what do you want to use as a inlay material and color?

Drilling the tube you can drill out all the socket holes. Then you need to cut up small pieces of bone to make them and epoxy them in place. The inlay material must be filled before you start turning. It will smell just like antler but a lot harder material. Have to have sharp tools and keep them sharp.
The last one I did I used 2 carbide bits to complete the pen. It had a lot of rock in it and that will dull your tools faster. Then there is a heat issue when turning. IF you used CA and have a lot of heat the tube will come loose.

That is just a few of the things you need to consider or do but at the end of the day when you have spent several hours working on one pen. They do come out really nice.

warthog

Beginner...not on gator jaw

:biggrin:Yeah...I am new to this...but I trhink this is one of the greatest discoveries I have made in a long time. I was just thinking that if I could get a few of these jaw bones...Just to have them when I thought I was ready for them...then I would have them and wouldn't have to wait. Just thinking ahead is all. But I do appreciate all of your guidance and help. Again thanks a lot.:biggrin:

JohnU

I was told by a man who specializes in gator pens that the gator needs to be at least 10 feet in length before their jaw bone is big enough to make pens. I personally don't know but will take his word for it.

qballizhere

I was told by a man who specializes in gator pens that the gator needs to be at least 10 feet in length before their jaw bone is big enough to make pens. I personally don't know but will take his word for it.

I have made several of all sizes. The smaller ones just use 7mm kits. That is if you are not casting them.

broitblat said:
I'd also suggest you wait until the gator is dead before trying to turn the gator ;-)

-Barry

I guess they get a bit nasty when you put their head in a chuck. Joking aside, I have seen Gator pens and Croc pens made by a friend in Oz and they look amazing especially when cast with resin. If you can get them stock pile as many as you can.

Sent from my iPhone because I can

JohnU

I have made several of all sizes. The smaller ones just use 7mm kits. That is if you are not casting them.

That would make sense. My conversation was about jr sized kits.

Top Bottom