Gathering supplies for an IAP Giveaway

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Hintz

I'm not a prolific poster on this board, so only a handful of you really know me... but for those that do, you likely know I walk a fine line between tool/supply "collector" and tool/supply "hoarder" :wink: I'm the guy who purchases excess inventory from places who don't want to worry about splitting up $2k worth of stuff into $20 bags for 100 different people. From time to time, I need to clean the shelves of the items I have purchased in bulk but either don't need or have no use for such an extreme quantity.

As such, I'd like to put together a little "beginner's kit". In would include a basic book on penturning, some basic kits (slimlines and the sort), various blanks, bushings, and so on. Other than tools, it would be an all-inclusive starter pack for someone who has an interest in getting into pens (IAP lurkers?), but doesn't know where to start. I already have all of the above, but I'm not sure if I've missed anything... feel free to post your own list of what you would have liked to have when you first started.

Thoughts, suggestions, (and donations) gladly accepted...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Not sure about the cost but maybe a six pack of sandpaper rolls like Woodcraft sells and possibly a bottle of friction finish.

(See you Saturday in Springfield!)

Dan Hintz

Sandpaper... good thought. I have some of those multi-roll packs that I hardly ever use, so I can include some of that in there. I'll also look at how many packs of MM I have... I could probably part with one of those, too.

I'll have to think about how to bottle up some friction polish... I think I have some small glass sample bottles that would work well. May need to figure out something different for CA.

Keep the ideas coming, guys...

Steve Busey

Dan, everyone needs a spare laser engraver as well...

:biggrin:

Seriously, some CA friendly paper towels would go well with any CA you include. Not all towels are created equal...

Dan Hintz

Drill bits and reamers.

Maybe some lists of resources for good pen making supplies
I'm not sure about the need for a reamer (I've never used one), but I did intend to include a 7mm bit along with the 7mm kits.

A list of some of the more common purchase watering holes isn't a bad idea...
Dan, everyone needs a spare laser engraver as well...

:biggrin:

Seriously, some CA friendly paper towels would go well with any CA you include. Not all towels are created equal...
Does a laser pointer count? ;-)

Didn't think about paper towels, but sure, I can throw in a few of those, too :tongue:

Dan Hintz

I only have the one book, which is what started me down this path in the first place. Well, that and I'm finally trying to get a handle on how many pen kits and blanks I have on hand... uhm, er, thousands of kits and a couple thousand pounds of blanks, evidently :redface: If Rich K. wanted to donate a copy or two of his book, maybe I could put together an intermediate pack or two. I plan to dig through my box(es) o' stuff and see if there's anything else useful in it (them), but I'm also open to other donations...

Dan Hintz

Okay, so here's what I have in the box so far:
1) 1 book -- Unique and Unusual Pens From The Wood Lathe by Dick Sing
2) 5 pen kits -- 2 gold fun slimlines, 2 chrome regular slimlines, and 1 rose gold slimline
3) 5 blanks -- 1 each of Walnut, Plum, Black Cherry, Curly Maple, and American Chestnut
4) 4 CA bottles -- 2 each of thin and medium
5) 1"-wide sandpaper rolls -- 20' each of 150, 240, 320, and 400 grit
6) Micromesh pads - 6 grits
7) 7mm drill bit -- brad point
8) paper towels -- cut and folded into convenient size for applying CA

Did I miss anything?

Dan Masshardt

I think bushings was mentioned above but not in the final list.

The big one it would seem to me - and more expensive would be a mandrel. Or to turn between centers someone would need to make sure they have the right centers (I don't currently have a dead center personally).

All of that probably comes under 'tooling' but either way someone can't accessibly turn pens for the first time without.

Just a thought...

Sandpaper... good thought. I have some of those multi-roll packs that I hardly ever use, so I can include some of that in there. I'll also look at how many packs of MM I have... I could probably part with one of those, too.

I'll have to think about how to bottle up some friction polish... I think I have some small glass sample bottles that would work well. May need to figure out something different for CA.

Keep the ideas coming, guys...

You can get bottles on Ebay for your friction polish. I would suggest this Pens Plus and this is what I use. It works very well and with a little experimentation you can get a very nice finish. If you include even an ounce it will go for a long way. It may drive up your price just a bit but it is worth the extra.

I would absolutely do away with the micro mesh and add 600 grit to the sandpaper. There is no need to use micro mesh on wood blanks if you use a friction polish and it will just confuse the new pen maker. (Now if you continue and use the CA they will need it for wet sanding the CA.) If they wet sand using oil on the last step they will get a remarkable finish. I use walnut oil that I get from the same place I get my pen finish and the slurry that it creates really makes a fine surface for the pen finish. You can also use BLO for this. I am not an fan of CA because of allergic reactions I find I get a very good finish out of the Pens Plus finish.

Rather than a book if you don't already have them would be some articles printed and instructions for the kits you are including?

Last edited:

Dan Hintz

7mm bushings, a small bottle of plastic polish, and an MT2 high-precision "A" mandrel have now been added to the kit.

On a side note, this kit will now be given away as a prize to the young turners contest for the IAP bash.

Top Bottom