G2 Gel in a Jr Gent II?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

budnder

I prefer the G2 Gel, but noticed it was a no go in a recent JR. Gent I did... so I used a Schmidt 888.

While the tip on the 888 and G2 is the same, the 888 maintains the narrow width to a greater dept than the g2. G2 has a little step collar before the big shoulder. For a Jr Gent to accommodate the G2, it looks to me like the inner diameter would need to be drilled out a couple of mm on the body side. With this mod, I think it would still work for either.

Anybody tried this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

budnder

oops... should clarify -> Rollerball version

Oh, I think I should have said "Jr Gent II Rollerball non-postable" as I suppose the ballpoint is different than the Rollerball.

I'll attach a couple of photos to show what happens when I try to put the G2 Gel in - it just barely protrudes before it catches on that little shoulder that doesn't exist on the Schmidt 888.

Photos of entire pen are here in the "show your pens" forum.

Attachments

• g2vs888-1.jpg
    g2vs888-1.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 181
  • g2vs888-2.jpg
    g2vs888-2.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 109
  • g2vs888-3.jpg
    g2vs888-3.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 160
  • g2vs888-4.jpg
    g2vs888-4.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 121

budnder

fixed...

Ok, got it sorted...

I just took an 1/8" bit and drilled out a few mm (drill, test fit, drill, test fit, etc.)

Then the big shoulder was blocking just a little bit (less than a mm). This is the same thing that happens when you try to put a G2 Gel in a Baron. So I solved it the same way - by lapping a bit of the threaded end of the nib like you had to do on a Baron when you put a G2 gel refill into it.

Attachments

• g2vs888-5.jpg
    g2vs888-5.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 139
  • g2vs888-6.jpg
    g2vs888-6.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 95

vakmere

I have good extension out of the Jr Gents and Barons using a G2, Pilot, or Pentel refill. The Jr Aarons don't seem to accept anything other than the Schmidt refills due to the collars.

budnder

It sounds like some have been able to use a G2 Gel in a Jr Gent II... maybe there's some variations in the kit, because I sure had to drill it out a bit to make it work.

I've used the G2 in a Baron and it's usable, but, for my tastes, it doesn't protrude far enough, so I always lap a bit off the Baron tip, as per this helpful video: https://youtu.be/R42dUbiUtlE?t=146

vakmere

It sounds like some have been able to use a G2 Gel in a Jr Gent II... maybe there's some variations in the kit, because I sure had to drill it out a bit to make it work.

I've used the G2 in a Baron and it's usable, but, for my tastes, it doesn't protrude far enough, so I always lap a bit off the Baron tip, as per this helpful video: https://youtu.be/R42dUbiUtlE?t=146

Good video, here's my trials with the rollerballs in a Baron. Pic#1 - Pentel, Pic#2 - Schmidt, Pic#3 - Jr. George & Pilot G2-07, Pic#4 - Jr. George & Schmidt. So it seems the Schmidt protrudes just enough to be annoying but the Pentel, for me, is far enough out where I like it. The design of the front end dictates what we can substitute. I also use Pilot and Papermate rollerballs however I have to experiment with each kit to see which fits better. THE BIG DEAL is which one writes better. I prefer the Pilot G2-10 and the Pentel .07 over the others.

Attachments

• pentel.jpg
    pentel.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 137
  • schmidt.jpg
    schmidt.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 112
  • quilted 1.jpg
    quilted 1.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 144
  • quilted 2.jpg
    quilted 2.jpg