Full size statesmans and gents

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

latech15

Do you guys turn/sell a lot of the full size kits? I have never used one or even held one until recently when I saw some at a show. These are obtrusively large. I could see one for a collector or a show piece but an everyday user????????? Do any of you use a full size pen often? Do you sell them often??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

I have only made one full sized Gent and liked it. It has a nice feel in the hand when writing. And it is impressive. Some would call it a "power pen", not unlike wearing a Rolex. Many here have success with the Emperor, possibly the largest pen available in kit form. Pens this size are not usually carried in a shirt pocket but are kept on a desk. However, my next pen will be a full sized Gent in rattlesnake skin and it will be my new personal pen. You can call it obtrusive, I'll call it mine.

JimGo

I have recently sold several full size Gents and Statesmen pens. I have been carrying a full sized Gent RB and LOVE it. I had been carrying an Emperor, and the writing portion of the Gent is MUCH more comfortable. Unlike Frank, I don't find the Emperor or the Gent to be too big to carry as a personal, daily use pen. But, then, Frank is getting older and his energy level may be dropping.

(ducking and running before Frank grabs his nearest-at-hand rifle - something tells me his aim is probably still pretty good!)

GaryMGg

Jeff,
I had a set of pens laid out in the kitchen and my youngest daughter came thru and picked each one up in turn. She said her favorite would be the large Bethlehem Olive Wood Cigar. I asked why and she replied, "It's the heaviest yet the balance seems that it'll hold itself up so all you have to do is move your hand."
She's not a big girl. Try one, you'll like it. [;)]

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by JimGo
<br />I have recently sold several full size Gents and Statesmen pens. I have been carrying a full sized Gent RB and LOVE it. I had been carrying an Emperor, and the writing portion of the Gent is MUCH more comfortable. Unlike Frank, I don't find the Emperor or the Gent to be too big to carry as a personal, daily use pen. But, then, Frank is getting older and his energy level may be dropping.

(ducking and running before Frank grabs his nearest-at-hand rifle - something tells me his aim is probably still pretty good!)

Jim, ye make a good target. [;)] I said "usually". And as far as too big to carry....ye wanna see my .54 Jaeger flintlock rifle from the business end? It's big and I carry just fine.

Mikey

As said above, the large pens are not for your pocket. I find that regular bic pens work well in my hand, yet the baron size feels odd when not posted and when the cap is posted, the balance is off. The large pen has a nice balance as the lower end is heavier and larger and the cap is not attached.

drpelton

I have to put my 2 cents in here. Until just recently, I had been using either comfort slim lines or Polaris (PSI) pens as my daily use/carry. I ordered some Statesman RB kits and made one as a gift. I was impressed with the balance and feel that I made one for myself and now use it daily. I always have a smaller pen with me just in case, but the Statesman is always in arms reach. It does stay on my desk unless I'm leaving for the day. The balance, IMHO, is superb, and it is effortless to work with, despite it's initial appearance as being large and bulky.

alamocdc

I (and many of my customers) prefer the girth of a larger pen. I have two Cross P&P sets, but quit using them years ago b/c small pens tend to hurt my fingers. Larger pens like Cigars, Sierras and Gents fit me very well. A number of older folks with arthritic fingers seem to like larger girthed pens as well.

I carry a line of the cigars at my shows.. they sell okay, but so far, the SL's and Euro's are my best sellers.. even big men sometimes seem to prefer the slimmer pens.. my personal pen is a euro that is slightly larger.. and because 'ole arthur' is beginning to visit more often, I like the larger pens.. I had a cross desk set in sterling silver that was awarded almost 30 years ago that I have kept for the looks of it, but never used the pens.. they were too small and slick so I had to grip really tight to hold onto.. they still have the original refills (can't be a refill if it's never been refilled, can it??[?]

latech15

Thanks for your input.

I tend to gravitate to a larger pen as well. I have been writing with a baron since christmas and I find the grip portion a little small but I have gotten used to it. My secondary pen is a cigar.

I did sell some Cigars to a friend and he gave them to another friend as a gift. I asked that recipient how he liked them (he didn't know I had made them) and he said that he liked the way it writes but it is just too big.

Comments like these remind me that when I am trying to sell pens I have to make them for the customer's tastes and not mine.

Thanks again for your input.

latech15

I did a beautiful el grande out of cocobolo and the D**n thing split on me. I kept it and use it occasionally. I really don't like the plastic components as much as the ones with metal. It is too light weight to be as big as it is.

just my opinion.

I really have not given the big pens a chance. As I said I have never turned one and really never written with one. I just held my first one a little while back.

I was mainly looking for whether or not you guys sell a lot of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom