Friction Polishes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

cozee

When I first started turning pens last year, I used friction polishes, HUT's two stage. I really wasn't happy with the level of gloss and soon switched to CA and hadn't look back since. That was until yesterday at the 2007 MPG. I saw several fine examples of high gloss friction polish finishes. Since the majority of my time was devoted to trying to run a smooth show I didn't have much time for making inquiries.

I like the ease and the massive amount of gloss CA provides but am wanting a more natural feel. With the nice levels of gloss I had seen I now am interested in giving friction another chance. My method of application for the HUT was finsih blank out to 1500 grit. Apply the first stage and buff with a piece of flannel till I saw smoke. Wipe off any residue and then apply the second stage gloss coat. Buff as I did the first. Done. Did I do something wrong or miss a part of the process?? Or should I try a different polish? I am open to suggestions as I want to make this work for me.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alexander

I too am trying to "perfect" a friction finish. I like the "feel" of a wood pen.
On a recent flight to Milwaukee for their woodshow, I was fortunate enough to sit near a fellow wood turner who was giving instruction at the Milwaukee show. He was an experienced teacher and turner working for a reputable company. He told me that when he applies his friction finishines, he does not sand past 600 grit. I was amazed. He said that it is a common mistake made my many wood turners thinking that more sanding is better. With Micro-mesh, abranet, abralon etc. out there it is natural to want to get the wood to shine. However, when using a friction polish, he stated that anything past 600 grit makes the wood so smooth that the friction polish is less effective.

Also something I recently learned was that handling a friction polished piece immediately after finishing it will dull the finish as the friction polish can take up to 24 hours to cure. I am extremely impatient and have not tested that theory yet.

For what its worth...

kmab

I also like the feel of the wood and have stayed away from CA finishes. I've been using Shellawax. I can't speak to the sanding part but it does seem to dull even after allowing several (4) hours to dry. Next pen will be sanded to 600 and shellawax left to dry for 24hrs. Unless of course it's raining like it is now...[:p]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom