Friction Polish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

klpeters

I was wondering did anyone try making friction polish , I made some , but in Canada we cannot get Denatured Alcohol , so I used 100 ml. Ethel Alcohol (70%) 100 ml. Shellac and 100 ml boiled Linseed oil, but after a day it separated by about 1/3 , alcohol went to top . the real Shellawax does not, maybe 1/8 inch after a few days,so I tried Methel Hydrate 99% and it separated by 1/3 , did anyone try Denatured Alcohol and does it separate by this much , when you shake it up it looks good but it is a little thin , not as good as the real stuff.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Magicbob

Yes, I have made it using denatured alki and it does seperate, just shake it up before you apply, works great.
I do not use it on pens very often, but I love it on bottle stoppers and bowls

monophoto

I was wondering did anyone try making friction polish , I made some , but in Canada we cannot get Denatured Alcohol

Alcohol is the appropriate solvent if the FP you are making is based on shellac. But you can also make a very good friction polish using lacquer - in which case the solvent component is lacquer thinner. There are commercial lacquer-based friction polishes (PSI has one that does not contain any oil - the MSDS says it is made by WoodWrite who also make Turner's Magic oil-free lacquer-based friction polish). I use a shop-made version that is equal parts of ordinary brushing lacquer, lacquer thinner, and oil.

My experience with lacquer-based friction polishes is that they may take a bit longer to cure. I typically apply three coats, waiting about a minute between coats. It is possible to feel the oil immediately after finishing a pen, but after curing for 24 hours the pen feels totally cured.

The other concern with pen finishes is durability. I have a teak pen on my desk that was finished with lacquer-based FP and that looks as good as the day I made it - four years ago.

WriteON

Off subject...but... I was a big fan of friction polish. Do it right and it looks like furniture. However if you see your work(pens/stoppers) after being handled the finish fades and the item looks worn. As reluctant as I was to try/use CA I got started with and love it. Friction polish is a lot of $$$ for that small bottle. Yes it looks great and easy to use but it is not meant to be handled. I'd say it perfect for display items...... just my 2 pennies.

Top Bottom