Freezing a Gentleman's Pen?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireWood

Hey all,
Hope you can help me. I made a Craft Supplies Gentleman's rollerball pen for my brother for X-mas. He loved it, but today it stopped writing. It seems too soon for it to have run out of ink, so the only thing I can think of is that it might have frozen.
Was only a few degrees outside this morning, and his truck doesn' warm up much. Would a pen freeze that fast? And would that kill the cartridge?

Any suggestions for refills?

Thanks,
-Dan

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Hi Dan. I don't know how cold it got up there in Massachusetts overnight, but the windchill here was -10 when I got up. If he had his pen out in that kind of frigid temperature for long, it's quite possible that the ink seized up. Often times it will cure itself if you write on some good paper. The second step is to briefly pass the tip over a lit match and quickly write with it. Sometimes the small amount of heat will free the ball as the ink gets melted. Lastly, replace the rollerball at an office supply store. As a tip, tell him to make sure that he keeps his rollerball in a breast pocket during winter. Rollerball ink is very thin, like fountain pen ink. His body heat should keep this from happening again.

FireWood

Thanks Lou,
It was just as cold here. Lower single digits before windchill!!

I'll pass your tip along. I think he learned his lesson - he just told me the pen was so cold it hurt to hold once he got inside!!

thanks,
-Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom