Free juniper, is it worth it?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

redfishsc

I have access to some free juniper bushes that are about 3" diameter at the largest.

Quick inspection showed that it was basically like eastern/southern red cedar, and I was short on time. Would this be worth fiddling with if I already have a pile of cedar?

Matt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

low_48

The knot reference is the best. You can get some pretty deep purple colors with the red. Last year I turned a bunch of aromatic cedar pens with no finish to send to Iraq for the Freedom Pens Project. I hoped the smell would bring a touch of home to the military personel. The wood is incredibly soft. A finger nail can do great damage. I've also turned some small lidded boxes and Christmas ornaments from it. That seemed like a better use. Not so much day to day handling.

Rifleman1776

I sell aromatic cedar. Some people love it. Personally, I'm not too fond of turning as it is so soft and brittle. But, it can be beautiful. As said, the roots might give some figure. But it's worth trying, especially for the price. A word of caution, the dust can be an irritant. I wear my Dust Bee Gone mask when cutting or suffer for days.

fiferb

I've turned some eastern red cedar into slimline pens. People around here love them. I can't keep them in my box when I have any. I agree that you never know what is there until you try turning it.

redfishsc

I already have a pile of red cedar if I need pen blanks, and really don't have room in the shop (which doesn't belong to me...but the cabinet shop owner!). I think I'll let these pass.

Thanks for the help and opinions, all!

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom