FP Questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wheaties

Haven't actually made one yet (Fountain Pen, that is). Have one, but it's not made. I am confused on what "fine", "medium", and "broad" mean if I want to replace a nib. Also, what are #5 and #6 used for? How do I know which one I need; or can I get either depending on what size I want?

Any help would be appreciated. Also, if there is another thread that you could link me too that would work- I couldn't find one.

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ngeb528

Send a PM to Lou Metcalf (DCBluesman). He's an authority on fountain pens and very happy to answer questions.

sbell111

Haven't actually made one yet (Fountain Pen, that is). Have one, but it's not made. I am confused on what "fine", "medium", and "broad" mean if I want to replace a nib. Also, what are #5 and #6 used for? How do I know which one I need; or can I get either depending on what size I want?

Any help would be appreciated. Also, if there is another thread that you could link me too that would work- I couldn't find one.

Thanks!
As I understand it, fine, medium, and large refer to the size of the nib's point. A finer point makes a thinner line of ink on the paper while a large nib puts alot of ink down. What you need depends on your buyers' preferences.

#5 and #6 refers to the total size of the nib. #5 nibs fit the 'Jr' pens, Classics and the like. #6 nibs fit the 'full sized' pens, such as Gentleman, Statesman, et al.

Top Bottom