FP Nib Plating

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

samuel07

I was cleaning the nib on my El Toro FP and I noticed some of the gold plating stuck to the feed when I took it apart. Anyone else have this happen? Could it have been caused by the ink? The pen sat unused for about two weeks with PR Fiesta red in it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Firefyter-emt

IMHO.. the nibs are pretty cheap on some of these kits. I finished off an El-Grande yesterday and for the life of me it did not want to feed and I kept seeing 2 sharp lines. I tried to "figure 8" polish it with old MM (last 2 grits) and it did not help. I then looked at it close and it was a freaking "Y"!! The nib is not bent, the tip itself is defective! I had a spare solid plated nib I tossed into my gold El-Toro and used the 2 tone nib from that pen in my new El-Grande. I normaly have to hand polish the nib for a smooth feel out of the box.

On the feed side I would not worry about it too much, just make sure you clean the plating off the feed.

bjackman

Agreed, that the plating on some of our kit's nibs are not the best. If i'm doing a chrome, plat or rhodium kit I will usually pull the nib out of the feed and buff off all the plating. Sometimes it leaves some plating still in the engraving on the nib, I like the look better than the obviously plated gold.
The plating is often not terribly accurate and slightly "ofset" to the engraving.

jtate

http://www.penhero.com/DebKinneyMain/AboutDeb.htm

Here's a link to information about Deb McKinney, she does a great job at tweaking the nibs that come with our kits. Her prices are really reasonable and her turn-around is quick. There's nothing like a funky nib to put the kibosh on the sale of a fountain pen.

Julia

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
The fumes from any exposed CA glue with eat the plating off of a nib inside the enclosed space of the cap. The "experts" all tell me that it only takes a couple days with the cap open to let the gasses escape, and that everything is fine after that.

HOWEVER, I have an El Grande that has been sitting with cap off since November, and it will still eat the plating off a nib in a heartbeat. That is a lot longer than a "couple days".

bjackman

Lee,
I just use the same buffing wheel I use as my final step in finishing pens. Sometimes I add a little white diamond to the wheel, but I don't think I usually do that to buff the plating off nibs. Your Churchill example is a perfect recepient of this buffing.

Russ,
That's a long time to wait for your CA to stop outgassing! Have you tried a careful spray of accelerator into the cap? Maybe use the aerosol can with the little red tube to get it only inside the tube.
I had a similar experience when I sent some pens to a fellow turner. The pens had been done and open for several days to a month, and they fumed. It was always worse for me as my CA got older. The fresher the CA was the less chance I found of having fuming issues. YMMV

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Bill, I filled the cap with accelerator and let it sit overnight, twice; but it still eats off the gold and curdles the ink.

It could have something to do with the amount of CA I used in the CERC that I made on this pen. Anyway, I have switched to the System-3 quick-cure epoxy and have had no more problems.

CERC = Closed End Recessed Clip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom