FP ignorance

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

samuel07

Forgive my ignorance.
I just completed my first FP (Black TI Baron)and I want to deliver it to my customer. Should I try to use it before i deliver it? Also the black inner part of the nib isn't aligned with the outer part. How can I align it?

P.S. I plan on making one for myself very soon.

Thanks,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JTaylor801

Not sure what others do....But I do "test drive" all the pens before I present them to their new owner. Now I officially haven't sold a pen for profit yet (just in case the State is reading this), all of mine have been as gifts. But when I officially begin selling for profit, I plan to provide a card that will explain about the pen, about me and about the care of the pen. I plan on signing this card with their pen. It would be my way of essentially signing off.

I'm not 100% sure what you're talking about with the black inner part not being alighed with the outer part. Perhaps this one is the one for you and you make your client a new one that is top notch. I would never give or sell anything that was not perfect...this is your reputation you're talking about here.

Jerry

gerryr

Can you take a picture of the parts that don't line up? I don't understand which parts you mean and a picture will clarify it.

As far as trying out the pen, I would say no. Testing a ballpoint or rollerball before giving it to the customer is a good idea to make sure the refill is good, but I would never do that with a fountain pen. Unless you dropped the nib, it will write. Just show the customer how to use it.

ashaw

Samuel07

I do not fill any of my fountain pens. I will dip the nib in ink just to ensure the nibs are ok. But otherwise you would have to clean out the pen before delivering to your customer. Not a problem just time comsuming.

Alan

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Originally posted by samuel07
<br />Forgive my ignorance.
I just completed my first FP (Black TI Baron)and I want to deliver it to my customer. Should I try to use it before i deliver it? Also the black inner part of the nib isn't aligned with the outer part. How can I align it?

P.S. I plan on making one for myself very soon.

Thanks,
In general, it is considered bad form to ink a pen that does not belong to you. The new owner should be the first to ink it. As for the misaligned parts, I believe what you are saying is that the feed is misaligned with the nib. If so, you can adjust this by taking both the nib and feed out of the housing, realigning and then reassembling the three components. Anthony Turchetta (PenWorks) has an article with picures in our Library...I believe it's under 2006.

Randy_

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />.....In general, it is considered bad form to ink a pen that does not belong to you....

It may be bad form; but it would also seem to be misguided thinking. Collectors may not want their pens inked and maybe a few anal pen users; but I would guess that most folks care more about receiving a pen that works than who first inked it.

That being said, there is an easy solution to this situation. Just ask your customer what he/she wants. Personally, I would test them. You don't want to send a pen across the country or around the world before finding out that it doesn't work.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Check some fountain pen forums, and you will find that Lou is right on this issue. Fountain pens simply are NOT like ball point and roller ball pens. People who buy fountain pens are just a touch different than non-fountain pen users.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I follow a fairly simple regimen when getting a fountain pen ready for shipping. Using 1 micron abrasive mylar sheets, I slide the sheet between parts of the slit. I think rub the tip in a circular and rotatin fashion over the point. I use my 10x lighted magnifier to make sure there are no visible flaws. At that point, the pen is as ready as I can make it. For point of reference, take a look at some of the fountain pen sellers. A key point in selling them is that they have never been inked. Should I ever have a customer experience a priblem with a nib, I would overnight them a replacement. I don't say mine is the right way, it's just my way.

Randy_

Lou:

Would you refuse to ink a pen if a customer requested it?? I still maintain that it is the customers choice and that the best way to deal with the situation posed originally is to ask the customer what he would prefer.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Randy, please note that I'm not argueing this. Within reason I would do any conditioning of anything I sell if it is at the customer's request. My assumption, barring the customer requesting to the contrary, is to not ink their pen. [8D]

Randy_

Lou: I understand your perspective and given the nature of the people you sell to, the assumption is perfectly warranted. My thinking is that the average buyer "off the street" may not be worried about the high etiquette of pen buying and would rather be assured of having a pen that works first time out of the box. Just makes more sense to me to ask the client than make an assumption.

Everyone is certainly free to choose how they wish to handle the situation. I was just offering an alternative choice.

And yeah.....I know that offering a client too many choices can be a bad thing sometimes!!![:D][:D]

And P.S. I'm glad you have decided to ignore the vocal minority and put TSW back on the market. I've still got a container of President's Choice.....but it is almost gone and I will be needing a refill soon.

SteveRoberts

I ask the customer yes or no in person. I don't ink a pen that is going in the mail. First ink is a big deal to some, they will tell you when asked.

The alignment issue you must address.

Steve

samuel07

Thanks again Lou, I was able re-aligned the nib.
Since this pen is a gift for a customers father who is familiar with fountain pens and this pen is not going to be too far away I will not ink the pen. Thank you for everyone's input!!

The next fountain pen I make will be for me.[:D][:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom