Foutain Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Tony,

Your question is a little too broad.

What size pen do you like? Which ones are you considering? Have you tried any you like/don't like?

That's a start--some of the bigger pens have better nibs, the more expensive kits (Statesmen) have better nibs, but the smaller kits can have "upgrade" nibs and be very acceptable.

All depends on what you are looking for.

PenMan1

Tony, THE BEST FOUNTAIN PENS out there are the ones I make. (Just kidding, and being my usual bucket head self with that reply).

Please tell us what you are looking for in a fountain pen.

Seriously, I like the 18K nibs, but in this economy, I don't sell too many of the ($150 nib upgrade) gold nibs. But, on the other hand, I think Lou (DCBLUESMAN), Anthony (The Golden NIb) and many others sell more gold nibs than steel ones.

We do need more information as to exactly what you are looking for!

Respectfully submitted.

10ACTony

I'm looking for something to give to a couple close friends whose business brings them into contact with 'upper echelon' people. I'd like them to have something to WOW those folks.

PenMan1

I really like the Cambridge Ultras with a very special or unique blank choice for those guys, with Dayacom nib changed for one of Lou's Heritance Nibs. I REALLY like those nibs. I think they are a lot of "bang" for very few bucks.

Everybody will have different opinions here. The Cambridge Ultra properly executed has a real WOW factor. Lou's nib is the "aahhhh!" factor.

Respectfully submitted.

jskeen

Again, what is "BEST" is in they eyes of the "Wower" and the "Wowee". It depends not only on taste, but largely on personal knowledge of fountain pens in general. One person may be blown away by an emperor or majestic because of all the bling, where another may prefer a gent with a high end burl blank. Somebody who is "into" fountain pens may turn their nose up at both as "kit pens" but wax ecstatic over a one of a kind, kitless pen built around a vintage nib assy. Yet a forth may not be impressed by anything newer than an all original mint condition Esterbrook or Schaeffer from the 1940's or 1950's.

The last two may be out of your reach (for now) but the first two are not, however they are often hard to distinguish. I would present the perspective owner with one of each and let them pick. They are much more likely to show off a pen that matches their taste with enthusiasm, and that is often contagious.

GoodTurns

I put a M3 Cobalt on a Black TI Jr Statesman Fountain and it worked well enough to sell at the first show it went to. very elegant look, but still "cool".

IPD_Mrs

James probably gave you the best bit of information you will find in a couple of paragraphs. I would wow them with a beautiful blank. These are friends and the fact that you thought of them and personally did something is more what it is about. Your best, my best and James best will most likely all be different. Good luck and I think what you are doing is great.

ldb2000

It all depends on what you are really looking for . Bling sells to the average customer while a Fountain pen person will generally look for a more understated elegance . Most also prefer a very light pen that has good balance . Also a metal front section is a turn off to most FP users .
Most kit nibs can be tuned to give good performance but a Fountain pen person won't look twice at a pen with an IPG nib . Upgrade nibs , like Lou's are good performers without any tuning required and the custom logo avoids the dislike of the IPG nibs .
My FP customers prefer pens like the El Grande with one of Lou's nibs due to the subdued looks , light weight and the non metal front section .

monophoto

I always cringe when I see the word "best" - cuz I don't have a clue what it means.

I'm not very fond of any of the commercial FP kits that I've seen 0r made.

CSUSA's Artisan is a snap cap and has that tacky metal extension. It could be done up with a closed-end that would look nicer. Doesn't come with a converter..

PSI's Big Ben Cigar is hefty and has a nice screw cap. It also has a rather tacky o-ring (that could be omitted). The metal end is not nearly as ugly as the end of the artixan. Also doesn't come with a converter although PSI does sell them as options.

The ElGrande is a nice pen - but it requires two drills, two tube sizes, and the wood skin tends to be so thin that cracking is a problem. The one that I have writes nicely.

Most of the rest are too 'blingy' for my taste.

its_virgil

Most all of the fountain pen kits have two tube sizes and require two drill bits. I don't consider that to be a disadvantage.

The El Grande is a nice choice. It gets a bad rap for having plastic parts but many of the "commercially" available pens have plastic parts.I do like how it writes with the kit nib.

The kit makers should take a close look at the El Grande front section...it is much better than most of the others.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

The ElGrande is a nice pen - but it requires two drills, two tube sizes, and the wood skin tends to be so thin that cracking is a problem. The one that I have writes nicely.

IPD_Mrs

The El Grande is a nice choice.

I totally agree. The El Grande, Churchill, and the Ligero are all decent for what they are. The plastic does not bother me anymore because it helps to keep the pen light. Many commercial pens have a form of plastic to help keep the pen light weight. Many of our member are spot on with making kitless FPs.

10ACTony

I guess I'll try a couple different ones. A David Broadwell from PSI, El Grande and Cambridge.

What are IPG nibs and does Lou have a web site?

ldb2000

IPG means "Iridum Point Germany" . It's a mark put on nibs to show (fool) people that the nib is made in Germany .... well kinda . The more corect meaning is that the Iridum tipping material comes from Germany .... well kinda . For a better explaination go here http://edisonpen.com/page.cfm/IPGnibs2 . I haven't had as bad an experience with IPG nibs as Brian has , or more correctly , my standards aren't set as high as Brians . I have found that about 7 or 8 out of 10 IPG kit nibs can be tuned to what I feel is acceptable , smooth writing , good flowing without skipping or starting problems . For an average person these will work well , but for special pens or pens that are going to Fountain pen people I always replace the nib with one of Lous nibs .
Yes , Lou (DCBluesman) has a website , PM him and he will set you up with an account .

Last edited:

DurocShark

What Butch said.

I made a couple Electra's this week. I like them. But my favorites are the El Grande and the Navigator/Baron. I like the Baron better than the Jr's because it's a smidge smaller and lighter.

Top Bottom