Fourth time's the charm!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rick_lindsey

Thanks everyone for all your great advice with regards to my out-of-round issues. I located a 60 degree live center today and eventually managed (with the help of a grinder, a machine screw, the "pokey stick" from the lathe and a mallet) to get the old live center out. I had an african mahogany blank with slimline tubes that I used to test out the mandrel with the *right* live center -- success! There was still just a touch of wobble at the end of the mandrel, and therefor still just a touch of out of roundness i'm sure, but I did a centerbandless not-so-slimline and i'm hard pressed to find any out-of-roundness with the pen either extended or retracted, so I'm most pleased! The nib/lower barrel interface came out well too.

Next time i'll either turn a wooden center band or add a segmented "faux" center band in a contrasting color but I'm pleased with the pen :). (yeah, yeah, I know, no pictures but I don't have a camera handy so you can wait :p )

thanks again!!

-Rick

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rick_lindsey

Here's a bad picture... It's not up to any of your standards, but it does look better in person than it does in this picture :)

mahogany_pen.jpg

-Rick

leehljp

Member Liaison
Congratulations Rick! You are on your way! Enjoy it. Now, with personal experience in overcoming one of the problems that quite a few people have, you are on your way to helping others solve their problem! :)

Show us some more of your work as you create it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom