Are fountain pens more challenging to turn?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

truckerdave

I have turned alot of slim line and Europeon style pens, even a few cigar pens (my fav!) and a few pocketwatches and numerous other small turnings, but I have NEVER made a fountain pen!
My daughter wants me to make her one. Are they more difficult to make? Any suggestions for a starter kit? Are there any kits that have everything I need? Where do I get such a kit? How much $? I have read alot of posts on here, good and bad, and just need a little more help!
Also will it be difficult for my daughter to use or maintain?
Thanks for your help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
How old is your daughter? The real question is what size is her hand?

The Jr. Gent is a great little fountain pen, but if her hands are very small, it could be uncomfortable.

Oh, no they are NOT hard to make.

bitshird

Fountain pens are as Ed said no harder to turn, and the Jr.Gentleman II is a great pen for the money. Pens like the Americana and the other flat tops are a bit harder to turn and really no better than the Jr Gent, I honestly don't see much difference in size of the grip section and it's a far better pen. Another good starter pen is the Baron or Sedona, just don't use the ink cartridge that comes with any fountain pen, it's terrible!! And will foul the feed and nib.

jskeen

Just to state the obvious, you can convert almost any rollerball (screw cap type) pen into a fountain pen just by unscrewing the rollerball nib, removing the refill and screwing in a fountain pen section with ink cartridge in it's place. So, the question is not really "is a fountain pen harder to turn", but "is a screw cap pen harder to turn". My answer is "not really, a little different, but no harder". If you can turn a cigar barrel, you can turn a jr gent barrel, it's just a question of having the right kit, bushings and drill bits.

Some suggestions. For your first couple of pens, I would suggest you choose a solid color blank that will not need to be aligned between top and bottom, something with no grain or lengthwise lines. I would suggest the jr Gent kit because it has very nice metal to nylon threads between the body and cap, and because it can easily be converted from rollerball to fountain and back if you have the parts on hand. They are available from CSUSA directly, from most rocklers if you have one handy, or from our own Exotic blanks folks, who would be more than happy to supply you with some blanks that would be beginner friendly as well.

As for the care and feeding, it is a little more involved than just trading out the refill in a cigar pen, but honestly, not much more. In my experience 4 out of 5 kits, or better will work wonderfully right out of the box if you use some good name brand ink in it, and not the cheap cartridge that comes with the kit. A quick run to staples will net you either some waterman cartridges, or a bottle of Quink, either of which will work quite well. Then you just plug the cartridge into the back of the section, press down untill it pops into place, hold it with the tip down and squeeze the cartridge VERY LIGHTLY, untill you see the first HINT of ink start to creep along the junction of the black plastic feed, and the underside of the nib. Install the nib and try writing with a VERY LIGHT pressure and see if you get a good ink line on the paper. If not, invert and squeeze again LIGHTLY. Don't squeeze till you see a drop of ink hanging off the tip, or it will make a huge mess before it dries out enough to write with. The pen should write after that every time you pick it up. It should take no more than just a very light press to get the ink flowing even if it has been sitting for a couple of days. More than that and you may need to adjust the nib some.

truckerdave

Wow! you guys are awesome!
I wasnt expecting any answers at all so fast, but, wow!
I guess I dont have any excuses then to NOT make that pen for my daughter now! (She's 14 btw)
I suppose I just have to spend a little money and order the kits.
I was thinking Purpleheart, as purple is her fav color. Maybe they have that Jr. Gent in a copper finish? I've sold ALOT of copper/purpleheart slims and Europeon. Does that sound like a good wood to start with?
I've never made the 2 piece pens before, I suppose I should just give it a shot though!
Thanks again!

jusjoe

I just recently turned my first of each, a jr retro, jr gent and jr retro. I found them no harder. I turned them with no bulge and lots of bulge. Smaller hands probally mean no bulge. Check out the thread about the group buy from CSUSA. Might save you some money. Also CSUSA has free shipping to the end of the month, i think.

Jim15

Making the pen is no harder but learning the in's and out's of taking care of it properly takes a little learning if you don't have any experience with fountain pens. There is a good article in the library called Behind The Nib that is very helpful.

dexter0606

Truckerdave
Ed and Dawn at Exotic Blanks have some nice looking acrylics in purple.
I don't know how your turned purpleheart worked out for you before but it isn't always as purple as you may like. You may need to set it in the sunlight for a while.
Just thought if you really wanted that "purple" affect, acrylic may be the way to go.
I've attached a couple pics where I've used "purple". First is spring lavendar I believe and the second has a stripe of metallic purple.

Jeff

Attachments

• Pen 129 small.jpg
    Pen 129 small.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 149
  • pen 86.jpg
    pen 86.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 136

Buzzzz4

If I were going purple, it would be the purple quatz from Dawn and Ed. The deep color and flecks of pink are great.

Attachments

• Close up Purple Quartz.jpg
    Close up Purple Quartz.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 118
  • Purple Quartz.jpg
    Purple Quartz.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 102

workinforwood

Just remember too that fountain pens will increase the chances of having an accident while driving a truck by 20 times, where as if you drive a car the accident rate chance only goes up 10 times. You factor that government fact into the 20 times for having a cell phone, 18 times for eating a burger, 12 times for using the cb, and you are a walking breathing dead man!!!

Top Bottom