Fountain Pen Thoughts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Having made and sold a few fountain pens and reading the comments here recently, I decided that I needed to use one on a regular basis to find out what the deal was.

I have a Barron FP made of African Black wood that developed some splitting, three actually, about a week or two after I made it. Can't sell it so I started carrying it.

I put the ink cartridge in it that came with the pen. After some fiddling around I got flow to the nib and could make marks with it. Actually make marks sometimes.

Then the frustration set in. I work in an office and frequently answer a phone with someone on the other end that is giving me some information. I pull out the pen and start to write what ever down. It wouldn't make any marks on the paper. Had to quickly grab another pen and ask the person to repeat the information. That happened a few times and I quit using it for that.

I sign purchase orders all day long. I tried using it for that. I would start to put my signature on the paper and nothing would come out of the nib. Shake the pen, and try again, nothing.

I started opening the pen up and squeezing on the cartridge to see if that would start the ink flow. I'd get a little ink and then it would stop again. More frustration.

After about two weeks of this kind of thing going on time and time again, suddenly the pen started working like it is supposed to.

There ain't no magic going on, something was preventing the flow of ink and what ever it was went away.

I am old enough to remember when fountain pens were common. It was quite ordinary for a person to have a piece of paper handy, on their desk or where ever. That piece of paper was to "start" your pen on. When you were going to write something you would first mark a short line on the paper to get the ink flowing. A busy person would have a piece of paper the size of a 3X5 card all marked up by the end of the day with little 1/4" long lines. I expect that. I use the pen, put the cap on and put it back in my pocket, nib end up. The effect of gravity will pull the ink out of the nib so it will need "starting" before use.

But back to the thing not working and then suddenly it did. Something caused that. There is nothing between the ink source and the point of the nib but a passage way for the ink. Something in there was causing the problem and what ever it was worked it's way out. My suspicion is the slot or split in the nib. I think, somehow in the making of the nib there is some kind of material that fills that little slit. Perhaps metal working lubricant, perhaps some kind of solvent from the plating process, don't know what.

My next experiment is to take the nib out of the nib holder and to clean the nib, the slit in the nib that is. Have to be real careful but I should be able to find some very thin, stiff, material, drafting mylar or something like that to slide into that little slit and work it around with some water on it to clean it out.

Any thoughts by you guys that have worked on or worked over fountain pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Mac, a couple of questions... did you break in the nib by doing a bunch of curlyQ's on a piece of brown paper bag before putting the ink cartridge in... this helps polish the tip and set it for your writing style... it does make a big difference... I also cleaned the pen with warm water using the pump mechanism before putting the first cartridge in it..
Also I have found that he ink supplied with just about all the pens is not of the quality it should be..
I only use Private Reserve ink.. any of the other top quality inks should also do, but DO NOT use the inks you buy at the local office supply... I found a distinct difference in the way my pen performed with the better quality ink.. and the price is not all that different..
I just picked up my Baron that I have not written with yet today, and the wrote first time and nice and smoothly..
It is the little things you do to break in your pen that make a big big difference... I learned a whole lot by picking Tony's brain about fountain pens... I now include a card with all fountain pen sales telling the customer what to do and what ink to use and where to get it..
As a simple test I took a nonsaleable pen and did nothing to it, just put in the cartridge that came with it..
It did not write as well as the pen I "set up"... I then took the cartridge out and replaced it with good ink, it wrote better,... I then took out that cartridge.. cleaned it and did the curlyQ's, replaced the good ink cartridge and it was like night and day....
When it comes to fountain pens, it seems that the little prep needed makes a world of difference... and you will need to educate your customers to eliminate negative feedback. If they want to write with a fountain pen, they either already know it or they need to learn it... Don't be afraid of insulting the knowledgeable FP user, he will appreciate the fact that you took the time to show them, and he will also realize you know about your product... A VERY GOOD THING...

woodscavenger

I talked to BB about this issue. My comments were the first he had had. Call him if you got it from him so he knows I'm not the only one. You might try some of the Private reserve ink which solved some of my problems. I also wonder if there is a residual chemichal in the nib from the factory that needs to get cleaned out before the pen started behaving.

wayneis

A comments, first just maybe that after you had scribbled and tried to write for a while it finely got broken in. Everyone that I have ever talked to about this has said the same thing, that a fountain pen nib needs to be broken in by the user. Next is that I would never take a pen out in public with cracks or imperfections, thats the last thing that I would ever want a potential customer to see. IMHO

Wayne

driften

So where do you get Private Reserve ink?
Also has anybody written up a card to supply with fountain pens talking about the care and feeding?

About this breaking in thing.

I understand how the little bitty ball of Iridium on the end of the nib could be rough and need a little polishing to make writing smoother. Make sense to me.

What everyone who has posted about fountain pens are saying that the pens skip when writing and don't write at all because the ink isn't getting to the paper. Polishing the Iridium tip has nothing to do with the feeding of the ink from the cartridge to the tip. You got to get the ink there in order to make a mark on the paper. Blaming that on making circles on grocery bags doesn't make sense.

Daniel

I have found some improvemnt with a few of my fountain pens with using Stratos ink cartridges. I think my wife got them at wal mart. I don't think this would be the same as Private reserve but it is an improvment over what came with the kit.
how long do you need to draw Curly Q's to get the nib preped?
soemthing being left behind from the manufacturing sounds consistant with the problems i have had. never thought of actually washing the nib before trying to use it. I havn't made any F.P.'s with a converter all are simply cartridge pens. may be one of my big boo boo's
eventually I have to get fluent in this stuff if I am going to continue to sell them. still don't think I will ever prefer using one myself.

PenWorks

There is a new pen magazine out, Stylus, bi monthly. Feb/Mar issue has a good article about the junk the accumulates in the nib/feeder section.
I hope all of you are flushing your FP out every two weeks with cold water. If not, don't blame the NIB. Never use hot or warm water, always COLD water.

In the Dec/Jan issue some more good articles about steel nibs & about the company I am having some gold nibs made. I would highly recomend finding these issues.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Mac when you break in the nib by doing the curlyQ's you also allow it to open so that the ink flows better... when a FP is used the slit actually opens just the tiniest of bits from the pressure on the nib... this releases ink onto the nib so it will write.. if the nib is rough or not rounded by properly breaking it in this will not happen properly...
I usually do about a minute of curlyQ's kind of absent mindedly...
One of the nice things about the Barons is that all of them come with a converter pump...
You can find Private Reserve and a bunch of other premium inks here http://www.apenloversparadise.com/main.shtml

Tom, I get the idea that you are explaining. I agree that it may help to wear a polish on the point of a new nib.

That being said. If you take a fountain pen with ink in it that has been able to make some marks on a piece of paper. You put a piece of blotter paper on a flat surface. You press the nib of the pen on the blotter paper and you can actually spread the two wings of the nib apart just a little bit, enough that you can see between them. If there is ink in there it will flood the blotter with a big black spot of ink. If there is no ink in there it won't nor can you see any ink in between the two prongs. Seeing no ink from a pen that has a full supply of ink in it, that has written words one minute prior leads on to believe that there is a problem with the ink getting down the nib to the point that it can be applied to the paper.

No matter how many circle I make on a grocery bag won't fix that particular problem. I will admit that if I sit there long enough making enough circle that eventually some ink may find it's way through the nib to the tip.

I am of the opinion, and it is just a experiment I intend to try, that something is keeping the ink from flowing down the nib to the point that it can get on the paper. The nib holder is made of plastic. When plastic is cast in a mold there is a release agent put in the mold so the part won't stick in it. Could be that has silicone in it and is not allowing the water that carries the pigment in the ink to pass through the little slot that gets it to the nib. Could be that there is manufacturing debris in the little slot in the nib. Could be that the exact conditions that cause the problem don't show up in each and every pen. Could be that the problem is related to the particular batch of pen parts, one day lots of mold release, three days later a small amount of mold release.

I don't know. I am going to play around and see what I can find out. It is a simple mechanical problem. A reservoir of liquid with a duct to make the liquid go where it is needed. Something is interfering with that. It ain't rocket science. There should not be a general problem from all the various people that have reported them. I can see one bad egg, occasionally. The darn things have been being used, in one form or another, for a couple of centuries. If throwing graveyard dirt over my left shoulder next full moon will work then I'll try that also. I ramble, so I'll stop now.

btboone

When I went to the Atlanta pen show, I met a guy there that worked with nibs. He checked my El Grande nib and did some adjustments to it. He got some brass shim stock of .002" and ran it down the nib slot. He also checked the plastic piece and found a thin slug of either plastic or dried ink in there. He used the corner of the shim stock to clear out the channel. He also adjusted the tines slightly with some needle nosed pliers, then he did the circular motion on some super fine grit abrasive paper. It was something so smooth that it felt like waxed paper instead of abrasive. It worked much smoother after his adjustments and stopped the skipping that had occurred before.

Scott

Hi Mac,

Breaking in is important, but I bet there was something interefering with the ink flow, that eventually worked itself out after a period of time. If it had been inked before it could have been dried ink, but it could have been anything. I'm glad it works now!

I like Private Reserve ink, but I also find it isn't the universal cure that people think it is. I have one color (Black Cherry) that is just the wrong consistency for any of my pens. I have a Parker Sonnet with an 18K nib, and I tried for months to run Private Reserve Tanzanite ink (my favorite) in it, but it just wouldn't work consistently. I finally switched to Parker Quink, and it has worked perfectly since. Go figure! I also have a nice (yellow) Namiki Vanishing Point that seems to work with most any of my inks - it just likes to write! I'm beginning to think that pens are as different as people!

As has been mentioned, only use cold water to clean your pen. Other than that, just be glad it started to work for you!

Take care!

Scott.

dozuki

I have only made one fountain pen but i have used them for a long time. I made tha havana fountain pen and works very well. To start it all i have to do is give a little extra pressure when first putting pen to paper. I have a mont blanc and the havana writes almost as well and looks even better, since I made it.

PenWorks

A little bored this morning at work.....This little experiment didn't work as good as I thought. The scanned image really darkens the lines and makes all of them appear broader than they really are. But you can get the idea.....

Have a great weekend, I'm outa here soon! [:D]

200556172430_nib_grades.jpg

JimGo

Anthony, thanks a lot! I walked over to the mall next door to my office, and they the Lamy pens. I went over and tried one, and now I might have to buy it! It's all your fault, and I'm going to tell my wife to blame you! [:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom