Fountain Pen Questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hi everyone. I recently started making fountain pens and have a few questions about them. I noticed that the ink packets that comes with them do not last very long. Is this normal? Also it seems like if I put an ink packet into the pen and leave it, it dries up. Is this also normal? Finally is it better to use the packets or a refillable resorvor? Any help will greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tomspens

Hi everyone. I recently started making fountain pens and have a few questions about them. I noticed that the ink packets that comes with them do not last very long. Is this normal? Also it seems like if I put an ink packet into the pen and leave it, it dries up. Is this also normal? Finally is it better to use the packets or a refillable resorvor? Any help will greatly be appreciated.

Thanks

Yes, the ink packets are mainly just samples
The ink for fountain pens runs out quickly
www.paramountpens.com

Russianwolf

nearly all (actually all as far as I know) of the kit fountains come with ONE international ink cartridge. Granted the ink included isn't all that great, but it generally works.

The pen itself will use the ink based on the nib installed. If its a broad nib, it's going to use in faster than if you have a fine nib in there.

The international cartridge is available all over the place with different brands of ink. All hold about the same amount which is about the same amount as the piston fillers that also come with the kits. Now, you can spend 5 minute getting the piston filler completely full, or you can suck up as much as you can and write until its out and refill again.

Does the ink dry out? yes. If you leave it for any extended period of time, it will dry out. But if you leave it for a day, it should be fine.

PenMan1

It may be my imigination, but the Private Reserve cartridges seem to last two or three times longer.

It is not my imigination that PR carts lay down a much smoother line of ink. So much better that friends of customers who bought pens with PR ink called to get "some of that good ink that Dick bought"

Several vendors here sell Private Reserve ink. My favorite vendor is Exoticsblanks.com, because I like their blanks too and usually need to order blanks when I purchase ink.

I have heard from others that all of the IAP vendors that supply PR ink are excellent vendors with quick turn around time on orders.

Lee K

Great .... all I need to do is put better ink in my FP.

I have been using my very first FP for a couple of weeks now and I like the way it writes ... right off the lathe .... can't imagine if I got better ink !!! :biggrin:

Top Bottom