Fountain Pen Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jkeithrussell

I just made my first fountain pen. It's a Jr. Gent series. When completed, the writing nib extends too far into the cap for the cap to hit the threads on the coupler. What did I do wrong?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jkeithrussell

I'm not sure what that means. The cap is fully assembled.

Another problem I'm having is that the ink only wants to flow when the nib is held upside down.

Lenny

The upper (shortest) tube should measure 1 57/64ths approximately :biggrin:
Could it be you trimmed it too much? If not is there something in the cap keeping it from going together? :confused:

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Could you post a picture of your nib and cap? Is the nib postioned correctly on the feed, and the feed in to the holder?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The threaded black piece can slide up in the cap. Instead of staying immediately above the centerband. IF it does, nothing screws in.

Knock the top off (with the clip) and push the black plastic treaded gizmo back down on top of the centerband. (Insurance=tiny drop of CA behind the black piece ---AFTER testing to see it works without the clip put back on)

gvanweerd

The threaded black piece can slide up in the cap. Instead of staying immediately above the centerband. IF it does, nothing screws in.

Knock the top off (with the clip) and push the black plastic treaded gizmo back down on top of the centerband. (Insurance=tiny drop of CA behind the black piece ---AFTER testing to see it works without the clip put back on)

Yep i've to do the same thing.

jkeithrussell

I figured out one of the problems. I had to knock out the centerband earlier in the process and I must have caused it to crunch up. It was constricted and blocking the nib piece. I basically switched to a new kit and that problem is solved.

I still can't get ink to flow from the nib unless it's held upside down (gold piece of the nib pointed toward the paper). I guess I'll re-read the articles and try to make some adjustments.

Thanks for the tips.

mick

I figured out one of the problems. I had to knock out the centerband earlier in the process and I must have caused it to crunch up. It was constricted and blocking the nib piece. I basically switched to a new kit and that problem is solved.

I still can't get ink to flow from the nib unless it's held upside down (gold piece of the nib pointed toward the paper). I guess I'll re-read the articles and try to make some adjustments.

Thanks for the tips.

Whenever that happens again don't scrap the kit. I've had success trimming the plastic ABOVE the threads away until the nib clears. As a matter of fact the Jr Statesman (and Senior Statesman for that matter) have twice the length of plastic sleeve to squeeze in! I guess it's simply to "dress up" the inside of a "more expensive" pen. I have trimmed that second section completely off with no ill effects.

Top Bottom