Fountain Pen Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

HeatherA

Hello, My husband would like for me to make a fountain pen for one of his co-workers. This man is an English professor and has some Monte Blanc fountain pens. My question is about how the fountain pen kits compare with the real Monte Blanc pens. I know nothing about fountain pens. Can I make something that will compare? Would I have to get another nib or are the ones that come with the kits high quality. Is there a site that I can go to go get some more info? I would rather make a roller ball or ball point pen that can be for every day use if he would not like the quality of a FP.

Thanks,
Heather

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Heather, I think Anthony (Penworks) is probably the best one to field this. Hopefully he will chime in. If he doesn't, email him with the question. He is always very helpful.

PenWorks

Heather, the fountain pen kits we get all have steel nibs. They are what they are, steal nibs. What kind of quality do you expect with a $9 to $25 kit pen with a steal nib. Do you want to compare that to a MB with a gold nib? The nibs we get with the kits write fine. I have no problem using them or selling them. I am sure you can make a fine fountain pen for your husband's client. I would suggest a Gent or Statesmen or a Baron or Jr Statesmen all are fine pen kits. That being said, should you want to put a gold nib in the pen and elevate the writing quality, I have gold nibs that will fit these pens. You can see my add in the business classified.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6752
The next question is, is your client willing to pay the extra money for the gold nib? After all, you can't get a Monte Blanc at Baron prices [:eek:)] Good luck with your sale.

HeatherA

Thank You, that was just the information that I needed. This pen is for a gift. My husband just asked him what he would like and he said a regular ball point pen with "yellowish" wood. I am thinking that gold Boxelder burl or curly poplar would be pretty.
Thanks again,
Heather

Rudy Vey

Heather, you said that the man already uses Montblanc pens, so he is used to use a lighter weight pen. I would recommend either the El Grande or the El Grande Streamlined. These pens are very nice and also light. The Gents pen, also I made a few and sold some, is a very heavy pen. So if you want a heavier pen than the EG and EGS, I also recommend the Baron or Gents Jr like Tony did.

rduncan

Originally posted by Rudy Vey
<br />Heather, you said that the man already uses Montblanc pens, so he is used to use a lighter weight pen. I would recommend either the El Grande or the El Grande Streamlined. These pens are very nice and also light. The Gents pen, also I made a few and sold some, is a very heavy pen. So if you want a heavier pen than the EG and EGS, I also recommend the Baron or Gents Jr like Tony did.

Not to hijack the thread but I just had someone ask for a slim fountain pen. The only FP's I've turned are Baron's. Any advice on the thinnest FP??

Rick

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I just measured the diameter on the 4 types of FPs that I have in stock; Baron, Jr Gent, Euro and 10K Executive they all measure approximately .50" in body diameter... I don't think anyone makes a FP kit smaller than these...

JimGo

Have you tried the Series 2000 by Berea (http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/Berea_Hardwoods_Images_2.htm) or the "Classic" by PSI (http://www.pennstateind.com/store/pkpar10ft.html)? I have the PSI kits at home but haven't made them yet. IIRC, they have a smaller diameter than the Jr. Gent/Baron style kits. If you check the bushing chart from the Yahoo! group, you should be able to determine the diameter of the PSI kits.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Originally posted by JimGo
<br />Have you tried the Series 2000 by Berea (http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/Berea_Hardwoods_Images_2.htm) or the "Classic" by PSI (http://www.pennstateind.com/store/pkpar10ft.html)? I have the PSI kits at home but haven't made them yet. IIRC, they have a smaller diameter than the Jr. Gent/Baron style kits. If you check the bushing chart from the Yahoo! group, you should be able to determine the diameter of the PSI kits.

Judging from the drill sizes for those kits 10mm (.393) and a V (.377), I would venture to say they are not any thinner than about 1/2" finished..
The Baron uses a 25/64" (390)... which is in between these... therefore my assumption that they would be about the same size finished.

Ryan

You also have the Americana FP from Craft Supply in the same range.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=050-0368

Ryan

rduncan

Thanks folks. She asked me if I could just put a FP nib on a slimline but I explained that wouldn't work too well.

Unless someone wants to accept that as a challange. [:)]

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Rick, I hate to say this but it sounds like you have someone who is not going to be happy with whatever you make them in a fountain pen...
You just need to educate them as to the physical sizes of a fountain pen and why it needs to be at least that size... remind them that the cartridge needs to fit inside and there needs to be enough material to support the pen body without collapsing.... I your customer actually looked at an ink cartridge how could they even think it would fit inside a slimline body...
Sometimes it is just better to lose the sale then to make a pen for a customer who is not going to be happy with it.. and will eventually tell people yeah he made it, but it is not what I wanted him to make..

alamocdc

Rick, my smallest FP is the CSUSA standard 10K model (or any of the three on this page). http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?search=action&keywords=fountain-pen Turned B2B it comes in at 15/16". Granted, this is only 1/16" smaller than my Barons, but it is smaller non the less.

vick

Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />Rick, my smallest FP is the CSUSA standard 10K model (or any of the three on this page). http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?search=action&keywords=fountain-pen Turned B2B it comes in at 15/16". Granted, this is only 1/16" smaller than my Barons, but it is smaller non the less.
15/16? maybe you meen 15/32?

Randy_

Rick: You might take a look at the Jr Statesman or the Jr Gent. Although the body of the pen will be in the neighborhood of the 1/2" that others have quoted previously, the actual nib section of the pen where you grasp it to write is quite a bit smaller; but probably a little bit bigger than the diameter of the slimline. If your customer wants a FP that "feels" small when holding it, one of these 2 kits might solve your problem??

If you decide to go this route, CSUSA has a a new version out... Version II...which has had a bunch of problems with cross-threading of the cap. The original version does not have these problems(except on rare occasion) and is a 1/32" smaller in barrel size.

rduncan

Thanks again everyone....I did mention the cartridge needing to fit inside, etc. She mentioned having small hands. I may suggest Jr Statesman or Gent. Since I've not made either that would also give me a chance to try them out.

Rick

alamocdc

Originally posted by vick
<br />
Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />Rick, my smallest FP is the CSUSA standard 10K model (or any of the three on this page). http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?search=action&keywords=fountain-pen Turned B2B it comes in at 15/16". Granted, this is only 1/16" smaller than my Barons, but it is smaller non the less.
15/16? maybe you meen 15/32?
Oops, it was late and my fingers didn't type what my eyes had just measured. It was supposed to be 7/16". I have no idea where the 15 came from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom