Fountain pen opinions...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Had someone today ask me to make a fountain pen for their boss.
I was told the boss fellow uses a FP all the time and exclusively, and his complaint is that the [nib?] wears out. So, I was asked to make one of very good quality. So not only am I looking for a very good quality kit to start with, but is their a way to upgrade the nib (if needed) to better the quality.

Recommendations...opinions..?

Thanks,
JohnPayton

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wayneis

I'd say that Anthony isthe person to talk to. He uses them, he makes them and he sells not only his own but also some of the very best on the open market. AND he's right here at the org.

Wayne

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Another contact within our organization is Mike_O who repairs fountain pens. I use fountaqin pens a lot and have worn out points from almost all manufacturers. I just send them off for repair. It's a small price to pay to keep my writing fingers happy!

PenWorks

Well John, there aren't very many people I would do this for. [:D] I just inked one of the Baron nibs. It is a wonderfull nib, Medium to fine point. writes very smooth, no skipping write out of the box (or bag). That would be my first choice, also it is a very attractive nib, two tone, but I am partial to two tone nibs anyways. My secound choice would be a Statesman Jr. Same type of nib and it writes well, medium to fine. If that is the size pen he wants, check to see if he is the type of person that wants to post the cap. Some folks are real funny about that. I think the one of the best pens you can make for him would be a platinum Statesman Jr. and replace the nib with a platinum two tone Baron nib. That would be Ti*s [:D]

If he wants a larger pen, than the Ligero or Statesman would be a good choice. I use the Gent/Statesman nibs, they are good to, medium to bold, but neither of those caps post, I think it is to akward if they did, but again, some buyers are real finiky about that.

I have yet to wear a nib out, I seem to damage them before I ware them out. What's nice, tell him you can offer replacement nibs for only $15.00, that's a bargain in the nib world.

Hope this helps, good luck, Anthony

Disclaimer: This is just an opinon and should not be taken as fact. Consult a true nib maker or your agent for exact specifications [:D]

Fred in NC

John, one more idea. You can sell the pen with a second nib included. That way when it wears out, he can replace it right away, and then order another nib.

Scott

A lot of fountain pen users are kind of snobby about their pens (but in a good way!). Many figure a nib is no good unless it is gold, and 18K is better than 14K. They figure steel nibs are just trash. And maybe it used to be that way. But the class of steel nibs we have been getting the past couple of years, with Irridium points, are actually quite good for writing! If you get them to break it in and use it, they usually find that it is just fine.

We keep hoping one of our suppliers will make gold replacement nibs available, but so far they haven't. I can't blame them - gold nibs are expensive! Jim at Berea keeps some gold nibs around and will try to match them up to your pen for you. Call him on the phone and talk to him if you really need the gold nib.

One piece of advice I got a couple of years ago has been very helpful. If you intend to make and sell fountain pens, start using fountain pens yourself, and learn all you can about them. (Thanks, Russ!) Just like anything else, they have their own language, almost. I have found that buying and using some commercial fountain pens has helped me to understand the whole market much better. There are some good fountain pens with gold nibs for under $100 available, and it would be a good idea to get one and use it so you can really tell the difference, and discuss it intelligently with a true fountain pen fan!

BTW, I would have to agree with Anthony on his recommendations 100%! Good Luck!

Scott.

PenWorks

One of the differences between gold & steel nibs is the flex of the nib. Gold flexes more than steel, personal writing taist. Since I have been making my own pens, I have been using the steel nibs supplied with the kits. I have used them so much, it feels funny when I reach for my gold nibs. I actually have grown to prefer the more rigid feel of a steel nib. For the money, I think we get a good quality nib. Also, Lamy offers a steel nib in their Safari line of FP. It is one of the best nibs to use as a daily writer. The whole pen retails for only $25.00 So don't let anybody knock your steel nib fountain pens, unless the want to drop 300.00 on a gold nib FP. Or your planning on making a Titanium FP !

Although gold nibs would be a nice option from the suppliers, I don't think most pen makers here, could justify the cost. I know, I would stick with steel. I like them.

Anthony

Mike_O

John, I am not sure how he could possible be wearing out the nibs. They take MANY years to wear the iridium off of the tips of a fountain pen. Or he does all of his writing on stone or sandpaper ;-) All that aside, here are the choices for the nibs 1) Use the stock kits and utilize Fred's idea to sell him additional nibs. 2) Send the stock nibs off to be customized. Iridium can be added, the shape of the nibs can be changed to make the into a stub, oblique, music, fine, extra fine, medium etc... this can be done upfront, or after he has worn it out. 3) Use a vintage nib. You can either use the whole nib assembly and customize a stock kit to accept the assembly, or you can customize the nib to fit into the stock kit nib assembly.

I can get you more info if you need it on any of these choices. Just let me know.

btboone

Question for Mike or anyone; are the nibs of pens fairly standard as far as the threading? I saw that an El Grande is M10 x 1mm, while a Robusto Jr. is M10 x .75 (or possibly .8, they measured between the two with my optical comparitor.)

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks Mike.
The biggest problem here is I am dealing kinda third hand...or rather, my customer is buying the pen for someone else. I think we pretty much have it worked out..I ordered some of the Baron and Statesman Jr FP's last night. Pretty sure he will be satisfied with one of them. (I hope)

JohnPayton

RPM

I'm a little confused. Is the Statesman Jr. the same pen as the Jr. Gentleman? In looking at the Arizona Sillouette website, the Statesman Jr. looks like the Jr. Gentleman in the CSUSA catalog which does not have a Statesman Jr.
Richard

woodpens

Originally posted by RPM
<br />I'm a little confused. Is the Statesman Jr. the same pen as the Jr. Gentleman? In looking at the Arizona Sillouette website, the Statesman Jr. looks like the Jr. Gentleman in the CSUSA catalog which does not have a Statesman Jr.
The Jr Gentleman and Jr Statesman are not the same pen. They do have the same size tubes and bushings, but the Statesman is a little more of a high-end pen. The band and clip are fancier. The top of the cap has a nice design on it. I believe the finial end does not have an option for a cap that posts unless you swap parts with a Jr Gentleman that is. [:)] Both kits are excellent.

Gary

Richard, you must have an old CSUSA catalog. The Statesman is in my catalog. If you will go to their web page and look at the photos you will see the visual difference.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Well, as soon as the ice clears off the roads enough that I can get out of my driveway, I will be off to the postoffice to pick up my package from BB@AS...and onward to making my first entry into the FP club...figured I would make a couple before starting the one ordered by my customer...however, he has now asked what the price of a gold nib would be...anyone give me an idea of what price I would be looking at..

Thanks,
JohnPayton

PenWorks

How do you de ice a fountain pen nib [?] Would you use a lighter or a torche [:D]

Kinda what Fred said, it would be hard to find one to fit. But, if you really want to know the cost. Mail a nib to ...........
www.fountainpenhospital.com and ask them what they would charge to replace the existing nib with a gold nib. I would guess they would charge 50-100,

Anthony

Fred in NC

Anthony, prevention is better than cure! The pen should be kept from getting too cold.

I think a small heating element in one of your fancy leather cases would do the trick. [:p]

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks for the info...

..but after yesterday, no more ice humor for a while...we got hit with an unexpected snowstorm (actually it just arrived earlier than they expected)...a normal 45 minute drive from the office to home took me 5.5 hours of stop and go traffic on a solid sheet of ice they called the interstate hiway...news stations were reporting that statepolice stopped counting at 100 accidents - just on the interstate - and not including all the ones in the city and neighborhoods..[V]

...by the time I got home not only was i so frazzled i didnt even make any sawdust...but i was swearing i was moving to arizona[}:)]

JohnPayton

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
A solid gold nib will be in the $100 price range, and you should be able to find one that fits from Pelikan. Do a Google search, call one of the nib collectors, and you may have to send them a sample to match. You might try the following as a starter.

http://www.nibs.com/

They will understand your problem

PenWorks

Hey, the good news is, you made it home in one piece [:)] and you were not one of the 100 plus road casualties. Just glad I'm not an agent there, after the first 20 claims, I would have said "sorry not covered"

Got the front door open again today, nothing like fresh air [:D]

Sounds like another day off to stay home and make pens [:p]

Anthony

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
WoW..thanks Russ...that is one interesting site..!! In all honesty, I keep hoping he just settles for the nib that comes in the kit...

And yes, as frustrating as the drive was for me, I was very happy that my wife and teenage daughter all made it home safe from work and school as well.

Johnpayton

btboone

Another fountain pen question: I've seen the nibs that have the plastic "handle" part attached. Does anyone know if those come apart or can I get only the metal innards? I'd like the option to make the handle part as part of the pen in titanium if possible. I only have a few and havent tried to disassemble them yet. The really high end pens have the bodies going right to the metal nib part. I would be fun to experiment with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom