Fountain Pen Nibs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

gerberpens

I have a customer who wanted two Baron FP with "fine" nibs. BB @ AZ Silh. was out of stock on the "fine" nibs, so I made the pens and used the "medium" nibs that comes with the Baron FP kit. I told the customer I would get him the fine nibs when BB got them back in stock.

It has been about a month and still the "fine" nibs are out of stock, so my question is "Where can I get a couple of fine nibs that will fit the Baron FP?" CSUSA has extra nibs, but I'm not sure if they will fit the Baron FP.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Gary

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Borg_B_Borg

In a pinch, a medium nib can be easily(with some practice [:)])reground into a fine nib using a fine/extra-fine diamond hone, followed by polishing on an 8000-grit Japanese water stone.

Steve

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Borg_B_Borg
<br />In a pinch, a medium nib can be easily(<u><b>with some practice </b></u>[:)])reground into a fine nib using a fine/extra-fine diamond hone, followed by polishing on an 8000-grit Japanese water stone.

Steve

A whole lot more than some practice is required, this is not a job for someone to do without practicing on A LOT of cheap nibs. You are also going to need more than a fine/extrafine diamond hone and a 8000 grit water stone ... if you make one little mistake you are going to be buying that fine nib from CSU. That is why the nibmeisters get $30+ a pop to do a nib and have a 3 month waiting list

The CSU nib is the same as the Baron nib... just screw it in place.

Borg_B_Borg

Oh, I beg to differ(and speaking from experience), but to each his own. I hope you don't think I was recommending to him to regrind an expensive gold nib on a limited edition Emperor all by himself (I myself would do it and did it with my own expensive fountain pens. It's not hard to do, but I wouldn't recommended a novice to do it with expensive nibs.) We are talking about those cheap $3.50 steel nibs here, right? But, if you're not comfortable experimenting on $3.50 nibs, there is no reason why you shouldn't send $45+shipping to John Mottishaw to regrind a $3.50 steel nib from a medium to a fine. [8D] I can just picture either a smile or a frown on Mr. Mottishaw's face.[:eek:)]

Steve

Originally posted by Old Griz

A whole lot more than some practice is required, this is not a job for someone to do without practicing on A LOT of cheap nibs. You are also going to need more than a fine/extrafine diamond hone and a 8000 grit water stone ... if you make one little mistake you are going to be buying that fine nib from CSU. That is why the nibmeisters get $30+ a pop to do a nib and have a 3 month waiting list

The CSU nib is the same as the Baron nib... just screw it in place.

I have found that the nibs we get for Barron and other pens called "fine" make a line that I call medium. In fact it is so close to the same line that the stock medium nib makes that you have trouble telling the difference.

I have had no problem at all "re-grinding" a fine stock nib into what I call a fine nib that actually makes a fine line. The last one I did the customer whacked it on his desk and is sending it back to me so I can fix him up with another one.

I use the same abrasives that we use to finish pen blanks. All the way to 12000 grit micromesh. You just have to be careful with the shaping that you don't grind off the hardened tip and ruin the nib completely. It takes about 10 min to reshape a nib. You just have to have a concept in your head what the finished nib should look like and go at it. Polish it smooth after reshaping, put some ink in it and write with it.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
<br />Oh, I beg to differ(and speaking from experience), but to each his own. I hope you don't think I was recommending to him to regrind an expensive gold nib on a limited edition Emperor all by himself (I myself would do it and did it with my own expensive fountain pens. It's not hard to do, but I wouldn't recommended a novice to do it with expensive nibs.) We are talking about those cheap $3.50 steel nibs here, right? But, if you're not comfortable experimenting on $3.50 nibs, <u><b>there is no reason why you shouldn't send $45+shipping to John Mottishaw to regrind a $3.50 steel nib from a medium to a fine</b></u>. [8D] I can just picture either a smile or a frown on Mr. Mottishaw's face.[:eek:)]

Steve

Why would you even consider sending a Baron or Jr Gent steel nib to either John or Richard Binder for regrinding to a fine when you can purchase a fine or extrafine from Berea Hardwoods or CSU for about $4.50. Here is the link to the CSU nibs that fit both the Baron and Jr Gents
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper

Borg_B_Borg

Tom, before you keep ragging on me for suggesting someone to regrind his own nib, please read my first reply, where I said "In a pinch", as in "where there is no other recourse in a hurry." Okay? Chill out.

Steve

Originally posted by Old Griz
<br />
<br />Oh, I beg to differ(and speaking from experience), but to each his own. I hope you don't think I was recommending to him to regrind an expensive gold nib on a limited edition Emperor all by himself (I myself would do it and did it with my own expensive fountain pens. It's not hard to do, but I wouldn't recommended a novice to do it with expensive nibs.) We are talking about those cheap $3.50 steel nibs here, right? But, if you're not comfortable experimenting on $3.50 nibs, <u><b>there is no reason why you shouldn't send $45+shipping to John Mottishaw to regrind a $3.50 steel nib from a medium to a fine</b></u>. [8D] I can just picture either a smile or a frown on Mr. Mottishaw's face.[:eek:)]

Steve

Why would you even consider sending a Baron or Jr Gent steel nib to either John or Richard Binder for regrinding to a fine when you can purchase a fine or extrafine from Berea Hardwoods or CSU for about $4.50. Here is the link to the CSU nibs that fit both the Baron and Jr Gents
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Not "ragging" on you.. just giving the guy information on where to purchase the nibs he needs...
I have been doing nibs for some time myself, but would not spend the time reworking a cheap nib to a smaller size either... I will however sometimes reshape to a stub or thin italic if needed..

TomServo

If you have a local WC, some of those stores carry nibs - usually with a sleeve.. there's a part that is the nib, and then there's a sort of adaptor sleeve (metal or plastic) that it screws into - which is what screws into the pen hardware. If i wasn't at work i'd take some pictures and show you. Basically what it means is that almost all nibs will fit our pens, if you unscrew the adaptors and do a little switcheroo.. I think there's some pictures of nibs without adaptors in the 14k gold nib thread (business classifieds). Last i checked they carried only medium and fine (i like broad nibs - all these handist people and their right handed agendas!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom