Fountain Pen Nib Skips

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bozz

I recently finished an El Grande fountain pen in walnut. The kit is from Woodcraft [they are only 7 miles from my house]. I like the way the pen turned out, though I really, really, need to improve my finishing skills! The fountain pen skips as I write. This is driving me crazy. I am using "Higgins" brand - fountain pen ink, non-waterproof. Help, what's wrong, here? Is it the ink? Or is it the fountain pen nib, or both?

How can I eliminate the ink skipping when using this pen? Is there something I can do to the pen to 'fix it'?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and offer up solutions.

Bozz

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Firefyter-emt

I had this happen on a nib once, give it some time it might just "break in"

Just curious, I have not seen this brand of ink myself. Is it for a FP or dip pens? It's not an India ink by chance is it?

Just did a google search for that ink.. Looks like it is India ink, you can not use that in your FP. Not quite sure how extensive you need to go to clean the pen, but you might just be buying some parts..

Lathemaster

Take a piece of brown paper shopping bag - equivilent of 12000 grit - and do 2 doz curly-qs with or without ink - essentially stropping the nib to your personal writing mechanics.

Mike

bob393

I have had luck pushing the phe pen down a little harder than usual. It opens up the ink channel a little. I don't mean to kill it just push a little harder than usual.

bgray

Like Firefyter said, make sure that it's not India ink. If it is, take the pen completely apart....nib, housing, feed, everything. I would then take a soft toothbrush and clean everything very well. Perhaps do not use the brush on the nib itself, just get a soft rag and make sure it's clean. India inks are the enemy to fountain pens.

Here's a good site that includes a section on fountain pen troubleshooting.
http://www.rickconner.net/penoply/

gerryr

My guess is the problem is the brand of ink you're using. Get something like Private Reserve or Noodler's or Parker. In the meantime, take it apart and soak it in water until the water is completely clean. You can use the convertor to force water through it also, but soaking should clean up most of it.

Randy_

Originally posted by Bozz
<br />.....I am using "Higgins" brand - fountain pen ink, non-waterproof. Help, what's wrong, here? Is it the ink.....

Perhaps you could give us a few more details on the ink? I looked on the Internet and did not find any Higgins inks that were designed for fountain pens. All the ones I found were for dip pens, technical pens or speed-balls. The ink may be your problem; but we can't be sure until we know a little more about the ink you are using. Thanks

Randy_

I just took a second look at the Internet and did find a Higgins ink that was named "Fountain Pen India Ink"(?). The description says it is for use in technical fountain pens and it is non-waterproof.....maybe that is what you have? Don't know what a technical FP is; but don't think that refers to the type of fountain pens we are talking about here.

OTOH, I found a website for artists and several said they used that ink in a standard fountain pen and it worked just fine??

Some points work well with some inks and not others. Give your pen a good cleaning, get a different ink, do the break-in thing and see what happens.

Firefyter-emt

BTW, if you want to try out some good ink, go to www.peartreepens.com and order their sample packet. You can try out up to 4 inks (enough to fill a pen once) and it will only cost you $2.95 shipped! James has quite a few brands of ink to choose from. Just for kicks, tell him Lee from CT sent you! [;)]

Bozz

I rinsed out the reservoir and the nib until the water ran clear. The Higgins brand ink is of suspicious quality, so I'll just toss it. I'll take the path recommend by Firefyter-emt and order some quality ink [thanks Lee!]. I'd like to show you all the pen, but I'm not sure my digital camera can get close enough for a clear picture. However, I will make the effort this weekend and post some pictures. Thanks for your help and support & I'll let you know how the quality ink works out.

Bozz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom