Fountain pen nib problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

bmchan

I made my first FP a few weeks (AZ Sil) ago and used the cartridge that came with the kit. No problems. Then I bought a Mont Blanc cartridge and the ink flow has slowed markedly with the second mont blanc. It starts weak (asin watery) then fades to nothing.

Under a magnifying glass, the nib look to have caked ink. The nib is closed tight. How do I clean the nib etc.? A link would be appreciated if you have a reference.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeffj13

I don't think you have a nib problem. I think you have an ink problem. Switch to a better flowing ink such as Private Reserve or Noodlers. I have also had good luck with Waterman cartridges that you can buy at Staples.

You can clean the nib using cool water with a couple of drops of ammonia in it. Use your converter and draw the water up through the nib, then discharge it in the same method. Keep doing this until the nib is clean. If your nib and feed are very badly clogged, you may have to take it apart to clean.

The following site should provide you with some assistance.

http://www.nibs.com/PenMaintenance.htm

jeff

bmchan

Thanks Jeff. To close the loop, I cut open a cartridge and it was dry. I emailed Mont Blanc and they said the model I bought was "very old". Cutting open other cartridges revealed dry ink or no ink.

I'll do a web purchase as no local retailers carry the size I want(in length). The length probably does not matter. Let me rephrase that.

The Waterman's at Staples are longer than the one that came with the pen but appear to be the same diameter and I will try those.

Thanks again.

Turnitall

You can buy international cartridges that are used in our pens at just about any office supply store...
Of course you are usually limited to blue or black.
Contrary to what has been said here, PR and Noodlers inks are not as free flowing as Mont Blanc ink.
Due to the higher saturation level of dye in those inks they are actually thicker inks and can cause problems in some pens, especially those with fine nibs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom