fountain pen nib advice

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chuck B

guys a co-worker wants me to make him a fountain pen so I picked a Artisan Jr. Gentlemen's II Postable Fountain Pen

my question is he wants a fine line nib but it must not draw scratchy. I am looking for a supplier either here or on another web site that has excellent drawing fine line nibs for this pen. can anybody help please. either send a PM or link to it here.

Thanks

Chuck

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joe S.

I would get some nib tuning supplies and smooth the nib yourself. Ed posted a really good video on this awhile back. Once you start tuning nibs, you will never want to go back!

edstreet

guys a co-worker wants me to make him a fountain pen so I picked a Artisan Jr. Gentlemen's II Postable Fountain Pen

my question is he wants a fine line nib but it must not draw scratchy. I am looking for a supplier either here or on another web site that has excellent drawing fine line nibs for this pen. can anybody help please. either send a PM or link to it here.

Thanks

Chuck

Wait wait wait. Wants a fine drawing line but nothing scratchy? That's like wanting a Lamborghini but as long as it's under $20,000. Just not going to happen. The scratchiness is due to the size point on the end of the nib as it contacts the paper, it also determines the width of the ink line. The finer the line the more scratchy it will be.

Having said that if a fountain pen is also scratchy when it's being used improperly and needs repair. A proper fountain pen will hover over the paper and drop ink as you write. When you start writing the nib will touch the paper to start the ink flow but after that you can lift.

paintspill

It will also get 'tuned' to his writing style. So I wouldn't spend too much time fine tuning it. I didn't believe this at first. I didn't understand how paper could shape metal until I wrote with the fountain Pen that I made my wife and it has been worn in to her writing style; she is a lefty. I couldn't believe how scratchy it was. I asked her about it and she says it writes smooth as silk.

Chuck B

guys,
thanks for your help but i physically can't fine tune a nib. I have a neurological problem which causes my hands to shake sometimes very badly. so turning is very slow. I don't have the fine motor skills to fine tune a nib so I must buy one already tuned.

ed street,
he knows how to use a fountain pen i can't use one myself i break the nibs in a second.

Mike,
is this the one ? 5 mm Complete Triple, Gold Gilded.....or is it this one here 5 mm Complete Triple, Polished

what is the differe3nce between the 2 links i gave is the polished one better then the other one ??

I really know nothing about fountain pens myself but how to turn them

Last edited:

OKLAHOMAN

Chuck, have your customer, no matter which nib (hopefully a Bock) you put on the pen take a piece of brown paper sack and without inking the pen draw figure 8's connected to do two things. Have him/her do this for 10 minutes at a time so as not to tire his wrist for 8-10 times.
#1 smooth the tip as brown paper sack is about 1200 grit
#2 breaks in the nib to his style of writing as a figure 8 has all the lines of cursive
Now understand this is not the same as fine tuning a nib but in 99% of all cases it will give the customer a quality writing instrument.

Chuck B

spiderman
yes there are a whole lot of excellent people here. I have found out that turners are the best people

also he wants a nice dark wood exotic i made this one for someone it has a nice color & i love the dark lines that add character..can anybody advise me on a nice wood to get maybe something like then pic below. I don't know what wood species it is it was in a bag i got from my local woodcraft before they closed the store. Now i have only internet to get nice pen blanks from

as soon as i can figure out how to add pics LOL

Last edited:

Chuck B

that's exactly right. it's the customer service that sells me on a company. good customer service i will be a loyal client of theirs cause i know they will take care of any problems i may have or had from items i buy from them

Roy, that is just crazy good customer service!

Thats how we need to think and do to grow our customer to loyal clients.

Top Bottom